• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion question?
  • hazza123
    Free Member

Hi,
    I was planning on purchasing a new frame with horizontal dropouts for the ease of using a singlespeed setup, is it possible to convert to gears? or am i just stuck with SS?

Frame is an on one inbred if it helps, any other suggestions are appreceiated, have a couple weeks to decide.

thanks

scaredypants

As long as it has a gear hanger it’s easy to run with gears, otherwise you’d need a temporary/emergency hanger and I’m not sure how great they are

(if it’s a SS-only frame there may not be any proper cable routing but you can cable-tie full-length outer to the frame)

hazza123
    Free Member

This is the frame in question, it doesn’t appear to have a hanger or anything, where can i find a temporary/ emergency hanger?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    core

On one do an inbred frame with horizontal dropouts & a hanger.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have a hanger that converts track end dropouts to gears. It’s yours for a fiver

hazza123
    Free Member

Ah yeah, i see that now, thanks for point it out, it says they offer all three options, horizontal, slider and vertical but can’t seem to find an option to choose which or are they all supplied?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I dont think on one do do the slotty anymore atleast it wasnt there when i looked the other day!

core

The inbred and some other On One frames used to come with changeable dropouts (swapouts) a few years ago, then, they changed to just doing 3 versions of the frame, one with vertical (geared dropouts), one with sliding dropouts and a gear hanger, and one just with sliding, horizontal dropouts for single speed use.

It seems they haven’t got the sliding dropout with hanger version anymore. You could just go for vertical and use a tensione/conversion kit on a cassette hub if you think you might want gears, all depends how much ss’ing or geared riding you’ll do, as the conversion will be a compromise compared to a proper ss frame.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion question?’ is closed to new replies.