Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SS BB? What do you use?
  • cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Need a new BB in my Duster SS as i’ve destroyed an ISIS in under 2months. Was it a duff BB or should I just get a new HT2/x-type chainset and BB. I know when ISIS first came out they were ribbish. 1 lasted 6days! what are you using?

Cheezpleez

Cheapo Shimano square taper. Think it’s an LX and cost about £17 but I can’t remember exactly as it’s been on there for three years without any problems 😀

HTTP404
    Free Member

Square taper if you can.
    Superstar components BB with oversize bearings if you’re sticking with ISIS.

Hairychested
    Free Member

SKF ISIS BB – won’t need replacing.

BigJohn

Square taper here.
    Middleburn do a singlespeed sq taper chainset too.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cheap deore square taper here. Put it in when I built the bike and it is still there

Ringo
    Free Member

Phil wood square taper

Ringo
    Free Member

I had an skf isis it lasted 12 moths then died

MrSmith
    Free Member

ultegra road BB used with hone cranks. never understood the idea that SS needs to use old technology (i could understand it when isis BB’s were made of cheese) but then SS’ers are a funny lot with their witty one speed stickers and beer bottletop stem caps.
    it’s another kind of bike not a niche style exercise.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

it’s another kind of bike not a niche style exercise

Blasphemer!

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s like the middleburn thing. they don’t even look that special if you are a style over substance person. they are just old tech overpriced flexy cranks with a square taper interface that’s borked if it gets loose.
    i don’t for one minute accept that SS’ing is any harder on bb’s or cranks than ordinary mtb’ing.

tommid
    Free Member

Xt octolink, in my second, the last one lasted 5 years. Get a white industries chains and a square taper shimano bb.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Royce, fit forget

Lionheart
    Free Member

Isis on one and its fine with (flexy?) Middleburn cranks and they are fine to. Octalink on my One one and thats fine to. And cheap shimano square taper BB with WI cranks (only problem with them they are so shinny I wonder what is flashing me in the sunshine!) on my 29ner and they are all good to.

I have had to change Isis on the DH bike frequently and the external BB on modern chainsets on all sorts of bikes but I can not remember the last time I changed a square taper or octalink for that matter.

Do really like the Phil Woods BBa and the Royce looks fantastic.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Royce Ti/MiddleBurn Uno on one bike.
    FSA K Force Lite BB30 on the other.

Militant_biker

UN52 Square Taper (with RS8s)
    Although if I were to get a new set, it’d be X-type RS8s with a Hope BB. Fact.

I use a TA Axix on the fixed, which is great as it’s a piece of wee to change the bearings on. (Edited my shocking grammar)

onandon
    Free Member

Titanium TA square taper – been very good so far

Andy

Royce sq taper / WI ENO & UN72 sq taper / Middleburns on another.

Cheezpleez

Funny how ‘old tech’ lasts longer and works just as well as cutting edge tech for a fraction of the price 😀

spanishfly
    Free Member

Square taper cheap as chips shimano has out lasted every thing else

ronjeremy
    Free Member

+1 for the sq taper shimano, been on for years and still going strong, easy to maintain and fit as well..

ssboggy

If your sticking with ISIS get a Superstar bb, they are outlasting the SKF ones on my 2 singlespeeds, and the SKF ones lasted 18 months to 2 years

swampi
    Free Member

If sticking with ISIS i have tried a fair few… SKF was okay but still wore out after a year and a half, the superstar one faired pretty well too lasting a cple of years…also the crank bros where pretty good if you can still find them to buy, they dont last as well as the others but the 5 year warranty means they change the bearings FOC and are really good with their service

luked2
    Free Member

Superstar one lasted for 6 months (about 1200 miles) and then cracked. But was replaced under warranty.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Shimano sq tapers on both the SS Inbred and the fixed Roadrat.

Mate bought some HT2 BB cups/cranks for his road fixed and the bearings died in about 6 months. Went back to sq taper for fit & forget.

Middleburns are flexy but light. White Ind Enos are stiff, shiny and heavy! I’ve also used some Stronglight Impact cranks (the old Sugino XD) on the Inbred, just because I had the right size chainring. They all work well enough.

cheeezzy24 are you getting the idea? 😀

crazy-legs

White Industries sq taper. I’ve just replaced the bearings after a couple of years as they were beginning to feel a bit rough. they’d probably have lasted another year TBH but I was stripping and rebuilding the rest of the bike so it made sense to do it all at once.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Royce Ti square taper. Fit & forget 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

As above. SKF ISIS last 18 months. Having no probs with the Superstar that replaced it (for a lot less money) but it is on my commuter which is mainly on road. There’re no other ISIS BBs I’d touch.
    Square Taper, UN73 (if you can find one) or UN52 for cehapo replacements.
    But Hope HTII BB seems to be bombproof. Also running an LX HTII so it’ll be interesting to see how long it lasts…

StirlingCrispin

Shimano UN54 square taper with a Race-face right crank and a Shimano Deore left crank.

Am planning on spending my Xmas money on a set of Middleburn cranks so it matches the geared HT.

epicyclo

If you already have an ISIS crank and you’re happy with it, stick with ISIS but buy only good quality BBs.

Otherwise square taper gives better choices.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SS BB? What do you use?’ is closed to new replies.