Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sronglight crank arm removal question if you please
  • slowboydickie

I am having trouble getting this off. I read all sorts about Stronglight cranks on the forums, some saying you need a 23.3 extracting bolt others that say it is a self extracting bolt, but that it is possible to strip the thread.

When I loosen it the bolt immediately feels like it is tightening again, which would make sense if it is self-extracting. Any ideas?

Cheers
    Rich

jonathan
    Free Member

If it has holes for a pin spanner in the black collar around the bolt then it will be self-extracting. Like you say, it’ll come tight again when you undo it as it butts up against the collar. Just keep going. You may need a long handled Allen key (or an old handlebar or something to extend a short one) as they can be pretty stiff.

There’s always a risk of stripping the threads with something like this. An extraction tool can be better as it might engage more thread than the collar, but ultimately it’s down to how tough the metal of the crank is and how tight it’s on!

slowboydickie

Thanks boss. I’ll give it some welly.

slowboydickie

I perhaps gave it too much welly. Drive side came off fine but the non-drive side did not. the bolt is cracked. Does that mean the whole crank is had it or could I get a new fastening bolt? Too dark outside to see now but I will have a look tomorrow.

richpips
    Free Member

If you can get the bolt out, just get another one. Though I’d also buy a crank extractor. It will catch more thread.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sronglight crank arm removal question if you please’ is closed to new replies.