Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM/Shimano question
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’m 99.9% sure the answer is no, but are there any problems with running a Shimano 11-speed mech with a SRAM 11-speed 10-42 cassette? As far as I’m aware the only difference is the smallest cog has one less tooth, which the mech won’t care about, right?

otsdr
    Free Member

Works just fine.

honourablegeorge

Running it on both bikes, all good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Beagleboy

Can I ask a related question?

I’m currently running a 1×10 Shimano SLX rear mech and shifter combo with a Hope T-Rex 40t expander. I’m thinking about moving to 1×11 in a desperate attempt to get a slightly easier gear for some of the big draggy climbs.

Will I need a new rear mech or will my existing one handle a 42t rear cog and the extra gear?

C. 🙂

GeForceJunky

Beagleboy – new mech, cassette, chain and shifter.

tomhoward

a desperate attempt to get a slightly easier gear for some of the big draggy climbs.

Smaller chainring?

Beagleboy

Aaah, forgot about the narrower chain as well! When I specc’d the bike I thought I was being brilliantly cheeky in getting a 30t front ring and an ‘upgraded’ 40t cog on the rear cassette. Being new to this sort of setup, I thought I’d be able to spin up anything with that. 😛

Now I realise I’m either going to have to buy my way out of trouble by getting easier gears, or suddenly lose about 4 stone and get fit, something that I’ve consistently failed to do over nearly 30 yrs of mountain biking!

Cheers for the info!

C. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

XXTR for the win. Or at least it was, until I fittted a Hope cassette.

teethgrinder

10 speed chain works with 11 speed cassette and mech
    11 speed mech works with 10 speed cassette and shifter. In fact, it works better than a 10 speed mech on 40t+ expanders.

The above is Shimano-based experience – XT M780 and XT M8000 stuff, YMMV. I hate SRAM gears – can’t get on with them, don’t care about the range or 10t cog, hate the look and feel etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM/Shimano question’ is closed to new replies.