Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sram XX1
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone running this? I really like the principal but its just a tad out of budget for me just now. Will Sram trickle down the technology? I’d be interested to hear folks views on it, users or not, for and against etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will assume they will trickle down, would love to give it a go. Only concern I heard was a larger than normal gap between the gears, hence wanting to try. Would expect it in a year or so….

br
    Free Member

Having ‘fondled’ the cassette, if I had the cash, I’d have it.

Northwind

SRAM have said, quite reasonably, that they won’t be trickling it down until they’re convinced they’ve topped out the market of “people who’d buy 11 speed X9, but since it doesn’t exist will buy XX1 instead”. So could be a while.

I’d be tempted if Fulcrum did an XX1 freehub for my wheels.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

X01 has been specced for 2014 bikes.

It’s coming.

jonnyrockymountain

Will shimano be following suit with 1×11?????

Schweiz
    Free Member

For a fit rider in an Alpine environment it’s a game changer. 1 x 10 was too narrow a range for big climbs and big descents. With 1 x 11 it’s do-able but you need a certain fitness level to make it work.

scaled
    Free Member

With 1 x 11 it’s do-able but you need a certain fitness level to make it work.

Sounds like singlespeeding for pussies 😀

Driller
    Free Member

It’s got to be what we’ve been waiting for. A properly useful range of gears without the archaic, clunky, noisy front mech. Cash aside, all my bikes would be running it now. That, plus a clutch rear mech and a dropper post would transform a mountain bike, and I mean a proper mountain bike, made to be ridden up mountains, and especially back down them.

We’re seriously living in the age where mountain bikes become seriously good pieces of kit. No compromise.

What lucky, lucky riders we are. Yes, you can have loads and loads of fun on your fully-rigid, single speed, seven-speed, hair-shirt 1.8 tyre’d dandy horse. But give me some suspension technology and component advancement and I’ll take my fun to the next level.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Scaled, you’re right of course but single speeding up a 1500m climb and then down the other side is sadly beyond me!

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t see Shimano doing anything directly comparable. Reckon the issue on lower groupsets will be getting a cassette that doesn’t weigh a ton! Not sure X01 will be much of an improvement – an X.0 cassette is still significantly more expensive than XTR.

tonyg2003

Strangely it seem to me to look a bit “low rent” actually on bikes. The idea is great though, just budget for new cassettes at £300 a pop!

tonyg2003

Strangely it seem to me to look a bit “low rent” actually on bikes. The idea is great though, just budget for new cassettes at £300 a pop!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’ve got a week on SRAM XX1 behind me in La Palma. I ride with Schweiz quite a lot and both of us have just built XX1 bikes. My initial opinion is that it is very good. Chain retention was really good and I didn’t suffer from the wide spacing between gears. On paper the 1×11 set up loses me a gear at either end of the spectrum over my 2×10 set ups. In the riding I did in La Palma I was ok on all the climbs we experienced with a 32 tooth ring up front and I noticed that I was using my bigger gear much more often than I did on 2×10… but I was never in a situation (on the trail) where I was spinning out my biggest gear.

Looking forward to testing it more in the Alps where the climbs will be somewhat steeper.

crankrider
    Free Member

I would say it is inevitable that Sram move this technology down the scale – Hub manufacturers have put resources into making XX1 freehub bodies and i am sure many would not bother if they did not have assurance the range would expand.

In terms of the chainring teeth tech, it seems Sram dont own a patent so E13 some other new brand and Works Components seem to be getting in on it

From the https://www.facebook.com/Workscomponents – facebook:

To be honest, i cant see ‘standard’ tooth single rings existing in the future, ill keep my eye out for E13’s or a works ring so long as it is not £80 like Srams offerings!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sram XX1’ is closed to new replies.