SRAM XX1

Home Forum Bike Forum SRAM XX1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • SRAM XX1
  • scruff

I think the chain retention offered by reshaping the teeth is a brilliant idea.

Premier Icon Pridds
    Subscriber

If I had the money definetly. Xx1 on a carbon covert is my current ultimate bike

v10

Works out at about 1k for the group.

Mines already on order 😆

Drivetrain:
    Chain PC XX1 HollowPin 118 links PowerLock 11 speed £49.99
    Shifter XX1 Grip Shift 11 speed Rear w Locking Grips £129.99
    Shifter XX1 Trigger 11 speed Rear w Discrete Clamp £139.99
    Rear Derailleur XX1 11 speed £239.99
    Cassette XG-1199 XX1 X-Glide 10-42 11 speed £329.99
    Chainsets:
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 156 170 32T GXP Cups NOT included £249.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 156 175 32T GXP Cups NOT included £249.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 168 170 32T GXP Cups NOT included £249.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 168 175 32T GXP Cups NOT included £249.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 156 170 32T BB30 Bearings NOT included £289.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 156 175 32T BB30 Bearings NOT included £289.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 168 170 32T BB30 Bearings NOT included £289.99
    SRAM Crank XX1 Q-factor 168 175 32T BB30 Bearings NOT included £289.99
    Chainrings:
    XX1 Chain Ring 28T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £69.99
    XX1 Chain Ring 30T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £79.99
    XX1 Chain Ring 32T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £79.99
    XX1 Chain Ring 34T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £89.99
    XX1 Chain Ring 36T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £89.99
    XX1 Chain Ring 38T 76BCD Alum 6mm Artic Grey 11 speed £99.99

toons

V10 who did you place the order with?

Hob Nob

Himself probably!

v10
    Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

whoever he’s working for this week, I imagine 🙂

Hubs is the problem. Well, not a problem. But it’s got to be DT Swiss or Mavic for now I think.

ianpinder

The only thing that bugs me is the cost of the replacement cassette. Everything else I can deal with, but a component that I seem to wear out in around 2000km (10spd xt) costing £350 is a bit hard to stomach.

FARK me, I knew it would be a lot, but………

I’d be tempted if
    a) it was made by shimano and therefore made from cheese, but at least it would Edam rather than primula so the mechs might survive one lap of stainburn.
    b) the cassette was 11-42 (and therefore fit on a normal hub),
    c) the chainring was a normal BCD, but then I bash my ring a lot so I’ll ptobably stick with a full chain device.

I wonder if Shimano will respond? They didn’t really to XX, they just made XTR (and everything else) 10speed (but then so did SRAM with X.0/9/7). But this seems sufficiently different, and they’ve got a new road freehub standard with the lastest 11 speed DA.

On the other hand assuming SRAM have patented the overhanging cassette idea, then I can’t see it taking off, we’ve not had a new freehub since 7 speed, and even then they were backwards compatible for a while with threads inside and out. Would people throw away their old hubs for a new standard?

nosedive

hopefully the lathes in Barnoldswick are currently spinning with a feehub we can retrofit to pro2 hubs.

and hopefully SRAM already have drawings of X9 11 speed made up

and even then I will struggle to afford it

v10

I left before you did Brant!

Rear Derailleur XX1 11 speed £239.99

The only thing that bugs me is the cost of the replacement cassette. Everything else I can deal with, but a component that I seem to wear out in around 2000km (10spd xt) costing £350 is a bit hard to stomach.

My record is about 500m for a SRAM X.9 mech, that’s 14p per meter!

toons

I’ve spoken to i9 and they’ve got permission\drawings from Sram to produce a freehub (but no eta).

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Hubs is the problem. Well, not a problem. But it’s got to be DT Swiss or Mavic for now I think.

DT (or Roval/Bontrager) or SRAM for now.

My record is about 500m for a SRAM X.9 mech, that’s 14p per meter!

30 yards for a brand new Rocket Ron: £1.65 per mile.

Price seems pretty ‘reasonable’, XX money at least. I’m still not convinced by the cassette, I think the jump from the 10 to the 12 will mean it’s only really useful on very fast downhills, rather than as a sequential gear, if you know what I mean. Reckon it’ll wear fast too. Would rather have seen an 11-42 or something for normal freehubs, but where’s the money in that for SRAM!?

If building a new bike I’d almost certainly do it, can’t see I’ll change though.

v10

The freehub body is no wider than a current one. Most peoples current hub shells/wheels will be compatible when/if the wheel/hub manufacturers machine some freehubs.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

The freehub body is no wider than a current one. Most peoples current hub shells/wheels will be compatible when/if the wheel/hub manufacturers machine some freehubs.

Oh duh, of course, I remember who you work for now 🙂

Hah

Stupid thing is I can’t buy SRAM XX1 compatible OE hubs until Feb 2013!

Reckon it’ll wear fast too. Would rather have seen an 11-42 or something for normal freehubs, but where’s the money in that for SRAM!?

There’s none anyway, well unless people suddenly start buying SRAM hubs which aren’t very common at the moment, but that wont change if everyone eles makes compatible hubs anyway.

Premier Icon neil853
    Subscriber

Who’s tempted? The cost is going to be massive but I really like the look of it. I wonder what the weight loss would be over my XT/XTR 2×10 set up? The freehub compatibility thing could be an issue mind, although Hope must be thinking about some sort of adaptation.

Thing is, as an upgrade (in terms of cost) its going to be pretty huge. I’d NEED to be sure….

messiah

If building a new bike I’d almost certainly do it, can’t see I’ll change though.

This^^^ As part of a new build the upcharge would not be huge, but to swap out a drivetrain for £1000 is ouch 🙄

Plus… my experience with SRAM (other than my HammerSchmidt) so far has not been too positive (My X9 was sheeeeeeeeit).

I emailed HOPE in July and they replied to say they had no plans to produce a compatible hub body… but I’m sure that will change if/when they see demand.

Hi, we have no plans to make a compatible freehub at the moment. We would have to have a look at the cassette etc first as we have no experience of them yet. Very sorry about that.
    Cheers,
    Dart.

Rather than buy XX1 I would prefer to get the HOPE 10 speed 9/10-36 cassette that was rumoured; then I could use Shimano Saint/XTR stuff… but I would be very tempted by the XX1 crank to get those chainrings… but how long until other companies copy that idea???

avdave2

Well about the same price as my Rohloff but the in 6 years I’ve only bought one chain one rear sprocket and the oil.

I really like the look of it but as I’m coping fine with 1×9 I think I’ll just be going 1×10 when that needs replacing.

Premier Icon boriselbrus
    Subscriber

So what does XX1 do that a Rohloff doesn’t? Except it’s fewer gears, exposed mech, more expensive, chains and cassettes will wear more quickly because of the extreme chain line, oh and that 42t rear sprocket looks ridiculous!

clubber

It doesn’t drag like a Rohloff.

It doesn’t weigh as much as a Rohloff, particularly right at the back of the bike.

It doesn’t look crap like a Rohloff (well, you started it with the 42t sprocket comment 😀 )

For many, those are big reasons not to have a Rohloff. YMMV

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

So what does XX1 do that a Rohloff doesn’t?

Weighs a shitload less.

messiah

I’ve tried and owned various Rohloff bikes… your either willing to put up the negatives or your not. Going back to a normal drivetrain felt great to me which shows me where my allegiances lie (wa-ay to go to off-topic the thread by the way 🙄 back under your bridge 😉 ).

Cassette wear is not a huge issue as long as your meticulous with the chain wear checker and change the chain ealier rather than later. But smashing a £240 rear mech is always going to hurt… my record was two in two days and it was one of the reasons I went Rholoff all those years ago 😆 (and also the reason I now run SXL/XT/Saint rather than XTR… £240 for something dangling down there is a bit scary 😐 ).

What he said +1, my only experience of Rolhoffs off road is waiting for people with them to fix their 3rd pinch flat of the decent.

For £1k+ though (so realisticaly £2k+ after 2 years hard use inc a couple of mechs, cassetes and loads of chains)? How much do you reckon you’d need to pay Orange to do a protorype 5 with a pinion ‘box? They must surely have considdered it as if ever there was a designed that leant itself to bolting bits on under the BB it’s their folded sheet monocoque.

messiah

my only experience of Rolhoffs off road is waiting for people with them to fix their 3rd pinch flat of the decent.

Yep… been there too 😆

clubber

chains and cassettes will wear more quickly because of the extreme chain line

And on this, the chainline is no worse than 1×9 or 1×10 that lots of people are using without issue. In fact, because the biggest sprockets are bigger than a standard cassette, in theory the wear should be reduced (though admittedly you’re comparing alu and steel).

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

If I had the money definetly. Xx1 on a carbon covert is my current ultimate bike I’d spend it on nice beer, wine and food and maybe a week in the alps instead

(though admittedly you’re comparing alu and steel).

I don’t think I’ve ever replaced a 44t outer chainring due to wear, usualy they just get eaten by rocks or replaced because the middle and inner were worn and a set of 3 was cheeper.

clubber

I used to wear them out. These days not 🙁

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I find that chain wear is significantly reduced on 1×10 anyway, can’t see this will be any worse as the extremes are the same.

avdave2

Jesus – sorry I ever used the R word. I wasn’t comparing them just referring to the fact that if I spend a grand I want something that lasts a long time.

My Rohloff is on a rigid bike ridden off road everyday to work all year round which is never cleaned and it’s been faultless for 6 years. There is no better option if you don’t want to go single speed. I also have a hardtail with a 1 x 9 set up because that is much better for when I want to go quickly. There is no point comparing them unless your the sort of person who puts screws in with a hammer. 🙂

Conan257

I do want XX1, but don’t need it…

How about an X9 level 10 speed, 11-42 ish, normal chainring, normal shifter and chain device…

Then I could get the range of gears I need without spending silly money…

Mackem

Do you have to buy a new crankset? Will the new fancy-dan chainrings not go on a bog standard crank arm?

Actually, do you NEED the new chainrings? Wont a good singlespeed chainring be nearly as good?

Actually, do you NEED the new chainrings? Wont a good singlespeed chainring be nearly as good?

At holding the chain on, no, but if you use a chain device then it’s not really nececary. And they’re a unique size (which is an annoyingly pointless way of forceing you into crapy GXP chainsets.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Do you have to buy a new crankset? Will the new fancy-dan chainrings not go on a bog standard crank arm?

76mm BCD (or something) new cranks definitely required.

Not really, no chain guide required with the pukka XX1 ring.

Mackem

Sods, they could have saved some people some cash by making the chainrings with a standard BCD.

clubber

I’m sure it’ll be only a matter of time before someone comes up with a XX1 style chainring that’ll fit normal 4 bolt chainsets – middleburn/hope maybe?

mafiafish

30 yards for a brand new Rocket Ron: £1.65 per mile

erm Wouldn’t it be nearer £1800 a mile?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1’ is closed to new replies.