Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • sram xx
  • sparky
    Free Member

Any one on here splashed out on this yet?
    seriously thinking about selling my wife to some arabs to raise the cash.
    I think the double chainring idea is great. Any feedback good or bad would be marvellous.

JamesP
    Free Member

Njee has it on his top fuel…he'll be along any moment 🙂

I ran 2×9 on my race bike during 2009 and will do so again in 2010. 40/30 with a 11/34 cassette. No gripshift for XX yet so I'm sticking with 9 speed.

nedrapier

Not me, but just out of interest, can anyone remember when Middleburn launched the Duo chainset?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

JamesP,
    Where did you get hold of the 40/30 rings? Standard bolt circle or custom setup?
    Thanx Max

JamesP
    Free Member

I'm running an Extralite E-bones crankset. I use the 104BCD 30T extralite chainring and a 40T TA Specialities. The Extralite 30T ring is special in as much as the female part of the chainring bolt is built into the chainring. Its the only way you can get a 'small' 104BCD chainring.

The Extralite stuff is pretty expensive but was uberlight and faultless last year – €399 for the crank arms and BB and €49 for the 30T ring.

I also ran 42T/30T for a while and this worked pretty well on most courses.

RealMan
    Free Member

I think the double chainring idea is great.

Me too, but who needs sram xx?

Dave
    Free Member

I'm running XX on my longtermer, words should be up here "soon"

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/category/long-termers/

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanx for the info James P.I'am guessing you can run the 30T Extralight ring on any crank with a 104BCD,not just the Extralight cranks? Thinking of using a Shimano XT set.
    Thanx Max

nickc

@dave, don't ride that bike in Newcastle… 🙂

Realman what size rings are they?

njee20
    Free Member

Turnerfan, yes you can, but you'll have to file the spider down to make it fit, I've done it on XTR cranks, with a 42t outer, that worked well, although lately I've gone for the same approach as RealMan with the inner/middle, last season I ran a 28/40, which seemed like a nice combo with an 11-34 block.

The XX is very impressive, can't say the rear shifting is particularly revolutionary, but the front is, very very quick, incredibly light action and very reliable shifting, you can't really make it do a bad shift!

I've got the 28/42 chainset with the 11-36 cassette and going big/big is still very noisy and a bit unpleasant, so I'd still avoid that combo, with the smaller sprockets on my Epic last year I could run big/big, so that's a bit of a shame.

The brakes work very well, nothing else really to comment on! I'm not really using the Fuel much until it dries out a bit, I can't afford a new cassette before the season starts!

I personally wouldn't bother to sell a perfectly good groupset to buy it, but if you're starting from scratch, go nuts!

RealMan
    Free Member

26 and 38 I think. Perfect for climbing in the alps, and getting back down again. Dont like the middleburn rings though, bit prone to chainsuck.

JamesP
    Free Member

Yep. Exactly what Nick said. In the instructions that come with the ring it gives direction on how to file them down. Its not by much but prevents the chain catching on the mounting bolts.

Njee – slight hijack of thread but can you get a 30.9 white carbon NE seatpost? for my Spesh? Might want one with a white stem. Super bling 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I can!

YGM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘sram xx’ is closed to new replies.