Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM Xplr mech on MTB?
  • Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Seems the GritCX articles dont crosspost with the forum, so asking here fore traffic.

https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/2021/08/10/sram-launches-xplr-its-wireless-suspension-gravel-groupset/

Practicalities of using this groupset on an MTB?

Needs the road freehub, and you have to use the road chain.

Do the flat bar AXS shifters work with the road mechs?

And more importantly, can you get a 30 or 32 chainring that works with the flat top chain?

Premier Icon lawman91

Yep, all doable. GuyKes has been running the “older” axs road mech and cassettes on a hardtail for a few months, using the flat top chain on a regular eagle chainring. The tooth profile on the chainrings is the same between 1x 12-speed road rings and the eagle MTB ones, so will be all good.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

GuyKes has been running the “older” axs road mech and cassettes on a hardtail for a few months,

does he write/blog/instagram or anything about that sort of thing? For the last few years, I only see him on Youtube reviewing the latest wonderchariot.

he always used to have decent tech insights and opinions (not that I always agreed) but he seems to have fallen off my google algorithm’s radar.

Premier Icon lawman91

Yeah he’s done a bit on his YouTube channel, worth a subscribe!

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

He writes for BikePerfect

Curious why you’d consider this for an MTB, as opposed to Eagle AXS? Just don’t need the 10-50/52 range?

I’ve read good reports about XTR cassette/chain paired with AXS mech, and there’s always the Shimano 10-45 XTR cassette

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Curious why you’d consider this for an MTB, as opposed to Eagle AXS? Just don’t need the 10-50/52 range?

I’ve read good reports about XTR cassette/chain paired with AXS mech, and there’s always the Shimano 10-45 XTR cassette

yeah, no need for a 50-52 dinnerplate (and unlike the XC pros I cant upsize the chainring beyond a 34 on my bike). While I in general dont care too much about weight savings on the bike overall I upgraded my cassette and could instantly feel the improvement in the rear suspension due to the unsprung weight saving. shorter chain will also improve chain tension/retension in descending gears.

secondary issue, given the above, is a needlessly long mech cage having a higher chance of damage and based on the short and long cage XT on my 2 current bikes, gets sloppy sooner.

Premier Icon snotrag

Still being on 11, not 12 speed, the first thing I though when I saw that new groupset was that the 10-44 casette looked great – if it was an easy swap from current 10-42 once its worn down, its just that little bit of extra range. I too, neither want nor need the enormous dinner plate 50+ sized cassettes as when I am mtbing I simply dont use that range of speed. I’m not interested in pedalling much over 20-22mph, so I just size my chainring accordingly.

Shame it uses the XD road standard, which I wasnt previously aware of!

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

Yeah, XDR is a pain, it will take an XD MTB cassette with a spacer, but XD can’t take a road cassette.

Garbaruk do a 10-48 for XD driver, which is another option – it’s lighter than X01/XX1 also

Whether you can push the XPLR mech to handle 10-48 I don’t know

https://www.bike24.com/p2322537.html

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

That Rudy fork is purdy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.