Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM XD cassette wobble?
  • hollyboni
    Free Member

I just bought a SRAM Rival 1 groupset. It came with a XG-1150 cassette. This is my first time ever installing an XD cassette. I greased both the inside of the cassette and the freehub body itself, then simply tightened the cassette onto the freehub body.

The problem is, the larger cogs (and probably the whole cassette) wobbles side to side, it’s “out of true” about a good 2-3mm. It’s not freehub wobble, it does it when i’m pedalling.

At first I thought I cross threaded it, but I took off the cassette and the threads look immaculate.

Is this normal, or did I do anything wrong?

hollyboni
    Free Member

I also noticed that on the 10T cog the chain is really really close to the frame.

Andy_K

It’s probably not tight enough. I had similar, and if its a new install you need more force than you think to tighten things up. 40NM is a fair swing on a 300mm long torque wrench, as I discovered.

joemmo
    Free Member

I had this same issue with XD driver and a gx cassette on a new bike. Turns out it had been cross threaded so was replaced under guarantee. Perhaps the design is prone to misalignment during installation? Can you post a photo ?

hollyboni
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t have a torque wrench. I’m using an open end wrench (with a cassette tool) that’s about 25cm long but I can’t tighten the cassette any more.

Will post pics tomorrow. I’m 99.9% sure it’s not cross threaded, all the threads look perfect, no metal shavings anywhere.

rickmeister

The other option, as I have just been through this is the free hub may be cracked but most likely is you need to nip it up properly. This will also go some way to increasing the chain / frame clearance on the 10 cog

aldo56
    Free Member

Just had the same issue. Turns out you need to lube the freehub body / inside of cassette with chain lube to get it to slide fully onto the freehub.

If you dont do this and torque it up, you get a faslse torque as it’s not seated properly and therefore the play you are describing.

Check out this link:

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Nate-at-BikeCo-com/blog/xx1-cassette-install–creak-check.html

hollyboni
    Free Member

Thanks a lot aldo56! I was starting to get worried.

I didn’t have any penetrating or super thin oil, only thicker stuff, but I did lube the mechanism and it helped a lot. It’s still not a 100% perfect, but it’s pretty damn close.
    Will try to get some thinner stuff and do it again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XD cassette wobble?’ is closed to new replies.