Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • sram x7 s1400 24-38 off T129s Question ?
  • jonnyb1972
    Free Member

As above I would like to try a 22 tooth chain ring. Do I need to change both and run 22-36? and where can I buy them at a cheap price?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

22? Where are you riding?

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

I hired a couple of bikes at weekend that seem to climb better than mine, so was just wondering about trying lower gearing to see how it went. I’ve also noticed on some spec’ sheet that the 2014 version of my bike comes with 22-36 but I may be wrong, I was just keen to maybe give it a go. On the other hand I may need to just get fitter 🙂

wwaswas

On the other hand I may need to just get fitter

this 🙂

I can’t believe that ‘climbing better’ was caused by having lower gearing available, imo if you’re in the granny ring and up the top of the cassette then it’s time to either get stronger or walk as it’ll be quicker.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

well that’s me told, cheers you’ve saved me wasting a few quid, the hill in question is the pennine bridleway going up from Cowpe there is a bend that I just can’t get up. I think its the geometry of the bike as I end up pulling wheelies TBH..

mboy
    Free Member

I think its the geometry of the bike as I end up pulling wheelies TBH..

Having ridden a T129s, I can say its a good climber for a mid travel FS bike. If you’re pulling wheelies lean forward more, possibly lower your bars a bit, and check the rear shock pressure isn’t too soft for your weight.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Thanks Mboy I will look at those things..

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I’ve got the same bike, being honest I think going to a 22 would be a waste of money and time. When I first got it I did find it more difficult than my old 26er with a 32/22 but now I’m climbing most stuff in the 38! I’m going to go 1×10 with a 32 on the front at some point. It’ll hurt at first but i should get used to that too. I live and ride in the lakes mainly so lots of tough climbs here.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I’m the same with the front end lifting, I do struggle a bit with that aspect, even if I get my weight right forward. I’ll be getting wider bars and moving spacers above the stem if I keep struggling. I just love how it descends as it is though!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

32 11×36 in the Alps for me, with a fair bit of climbing. I can do it and I’m not racing whippet.

wwaswas

if you have problems with front end lift get your elbows lower than your hands/grips and slide forward on your saddle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sram x7 s1400 24-38 off T129s Question ?’ is closed to new replies.