Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Sram X7 rear mech short cage question please!
  • mart
    Free Member

I want to run a short cage mech on my Nickel with a 30T front ring. As it’s a compact set up with a small front ring I’d like to use a short cage rear mech. I’m on 9 speed though…I could go down the Zee/Sram/spacer route, or alternatively try a short cage X7 mech? Thing is I can’t find any spec that will tell me if it has the capacity (should do surely with a cassette of 11/34?)The chain grows about 24mm with the suspension fully compressed by the way, and just what length of cage is Sram’s “short”…60mm? Any advice/experiences welcome!

rocketman
    Free Member

Have used short cage X7/X9/X0 mechs on my Voltage with 11-28 and 11-32 cassettes no problems at all. Just added a couple of links in the chain when going from 11-28 to 11-32.

Not entirely sure about an 11-34 though. My otherwise trustworthy lbs gave a sharp intake of breath when I asked them the same question and wouldn’t recommend it.

Edit: apparently the maximum capacity of a short cage SRAM mech is 32 and the biggest cog is 34 teeth

mulacs

Meh, go for it. I run a x9 short cage on a 1×10 set up, 32Tat the front, 12-36 at the back. All works fine. Short cage mechs look boss! 🙂

mart
    Free Member

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Sram X7 rear mech short cage question please!’ is closed to new replies.