Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sram X01 eagle v XT 12 speed?
  • sam_underhill

New bike decision means different build kits and potentially choosing between an XT or X01 build. XT is several hundred pounds cheaper (and I prefer Shimano brake levers).
    I’ve had great performance from my current 11 speed X01, and my wife’s GX 12 speed seems to be great so far.
    Great SLX / Deore 11 speed performance on my commuter and sub par XT 11 speed on my XC bike.

So, how is the new Shimano 12 speed stufF? I’ve no kit to move over so there’s no advantage for spare kit etc, just interested in any reasons to jump either way other than cost.

rhayter

Been riding new 12-speed XT since last summer. It’s really good. Shifting is a reassuring mix of smooth and solid, up and down the block. It’s less expensive than X01 Eagle, as you mention, but it is a bit heavier, too – mainly the cassette and cranks. Shifter and derailleur quality is top notch though. I was really impressed with the GX Eagle I put on my last bike, but the XT drivetrain feels a definite cut above. The brakes… not so much. I’ve had 2-pot and 4-pot on my current bike (long story). Plenty of power and they feel less “on/off” than the last generation BUT the bite-point on both sets wanders all over the place and the finned brake pads rattle so badly that I had to swap them out after 2 rides. Bloody awful noise.

SirHC

X01 eagle is good apart from the rear mech. Clutch goes after 6 months of use (20miles a week, plus a few trips away – riding everyday for a week).

I have 1500 miles on the current X01 cassette, hoping I can get another 1000miles out of it. GXP bb’s are ok, DUB is getting mixed reports, shimano just works.

XT 12 speed is 200g heavier if you go for the complete groupset, versus eagle. Although you can go for an XTR cassette to shed 100g.

X01 Eagle Groupset – £700
    XT 12 speed – £370
    XTR 12 speed – £840

200g and 500quid saved, no brainer. I could be tempted with the XTR block and chain, but will be an XT groupset for me for sure.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

200g and 500quid saved, no brainer. I could be tempted with the XTR block and chain, but will be an XT groupset for me for sure.

I agree. You can use the 500 you save to buy a lot of pies to keep you fueled for carting around the extra 200g

sam_underhill

Interesting re: rattly pads. I’ve heard that. I don’t get that on 2 pot XT finned pads, must be a weird thing specific to the 4 pot brake.

Northwind

Isn’t XT more or less a GX competitor? Comparing it to X01 seems a bit off, both on price and weight.

thepurist

Agree with the rattly finned pads on the 4 pots – mine haven’t had issues with wandery bite point but the lever feel is very different to any other shimano brake I’ve used.

timbog160

X01 for me, but either will be good I’m sure – you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

daern
    Free Member

Paid £350 for an M8100 XT transmission groupset (cranks, chainring, chain, mech, cassette, shifter) and it’s superb. Seems easier and less sensitive to setup than Eagle (love the built in B-screw marker on the back of the mech!) and great value for money. It replaced a worn out 2x M9000 XTR groupset and while I briefly considered XTR, I changed my mind when I realised that my £350 wouldn’t even buy me the cranks and chainring!

X01 hardly a proper comparison though – X01 vs XTR is closer, TBH, and even then, I’d take XT and pocket £500!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sram X01 eagle v XT 12 speed?’ is closed to new replies.