Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sram/Shimano cassette
  • cogglepin

I’m running a Sram 11-42 PG1130 11 speed at present on my Tempest but I’m going to get myself another set of lighter wheels (fulcrum racing 700 at present) and I want a lighter cassette as well. I believe that sram and shimano will both fit the same hub so what do you recommend for a nice lightweight cassette and what difference will I notice if I fit a 10-42?
    TIA.

tomhoward

If you go to 10-42 you’ll need to change the freehub to XD. Easier to just get a bigger chainring if you want higher gears. Will mean you can get lighter, durabler, expensiver cassettes though.

escrs
    Free Member

So first thing the 11-42 Sram cassette fits a Shimano freehub body which is what you have on your Tempest, all Sram 11-42 11 speed cassettes fit Shimano freehubs

Now if you want to run a 10-42 Sram cassette then you will need a Sram XD freehub, the 10-42 will not fit a Shimano freehub due to the 10T cog being so small the whole cassette is pinned together and the whole cassette screws onto the XD freehub

As for a light cassette as always it will be a trade off between, lightness, price and durability, personally id go for a XD freehub and look at Sram’s top cassettes, pricey but also light, your looking at around the £200 mark

cogglepin

I’m quite happy with the 11-42 it was just some of the cassettes I was looking at were 10-42 like the xt. I didn’t realise they were XD but I do now. Thanks guys I’m wiser now then I was.

tomhoward

XT isn’t 10-42.

Edit, though there is an 11-46, which is the same(ish) range, you’d just need a slightly bigger chainring to get the same/similar gears. You’d be able to use a regular shimano freehub too

cynic-al
    Free Member

Probably better/cheaper places to save weight than the cassette?

kelvin

Oh, I dunno… his current cassette is well over 530g, and he can get a one that’s under 270g… without losing any functionality (arguably gaining a wee bit).

cogglepin

This cassette malarkey is all very confusing to me!
    Al whereabouts were you thinking of losing some weight? I’d appreciate any suggestions .
    Kelvin, which cassette specifically were you thinking of?
    Cheers fellas.

joebristol

Ok, so to make it simple:

Keeping your current freehub standard and wanting a big ish range – the sram options are heavy (NX) so I’d avoid those. Shimano do an 11-46 which gives you bigger range – I think these are lighter than the sram equivalent but still a little portly. I’d have a look at Sunrace to see what 11 speed options they have.

If you’d like to look at 11 speed 10-42 or similar then Sram are you best option but you need an XD freehub. GX is the cheapest option and it’s full steel but still lighter than XT and will last for ages. Think my last one cost £80 but I haven’t worn one out yet. You can go fancier and lighter (xo1 / xx1) but it gets very spendy.

I think Hope make a cassette with a 10t highest cog – not sure if they are XD or some kind of Hope standard. There might be some other exotic options (e13 / Garburuk) but they are also spendy.

Shimano don’t make an 11 speed cassette with a higher gear than 11t – you have to move to 12 speed and then you need a microspline freehub.

tomhoward

The lightest sram cassettes are xx1 (XG1199, 260g) and XO1 (XG1195, 275g). Both are 10-42 11 speed and IIRC can be had for around £200 if you shop around. You will need a new freehub though, cost depends on what hub you have.

alanl
    Free Member

Choosing parts for your bike is becoming increasingly difficult.
    I recently bought a pair of Mavic Crossride 29er wheels to fit onto my CX bike. Should be a straight fit on.
    But the freewheel wouldnt take the road 11 speed cassette. So I’m back to 10 speed, which isnt a real problem, I’ve just taken the 15T cog out.It is a pain in real life, I was under the impression that all 9 speed freehubs can take 10 and 11 speed cassettes, and you’d really think a new 29″ wheel could take 11 speed.
    Anyway, I found these really helpful, and a lot cheaper than I expected:
    Miche Cassettes

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP on a component you won’t be throwing out, of that offers better £ per gram saved.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Yes XG1150 10-42 would have been the perfect choice with a new freehub as they last forever and shift really well. They were under £60 up to a couple of weeks ago but have now gone back up to £80 after code.
    I would probably look for a used one to start with until the price goes back down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sram/Shimano cassette’ is closed to new replies.