SRAM Road Shifters – help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM Road Shifters – help!
  • STATO

Hi all,

Putting together my cross bike (after i stripped some bits off it for my road bike) and want to run SRAM double-tap shifters but know nothing about them.

I’ll need 10speed and will probably be buying second hand, so which models / generations should i be looking at?

Budget is about £100

Current Apex would be possible, but would i be better off getting older RED or other? I dont know what the differences/improvements there have been over the years so need some help!

Cheers,
    Rich.

I’ll have a set of rivals for sale soon
    You’d want those =P

bigbeard

I’ve not used others, but I’ve got 10 speed Force on one bike and 11 speed Force on the other and I really like them.

If you’re going 10 speed and aren’t going single ring at the front then I would recommend getting a SRAM 11 speed front mech as they are much better than the 10 speed ones and they still work with 10 speed shifters. I could never get my Force 10 speed front mech working perfectly, whereas the new 11 speed Force mech has been easy to set up and faultless.

STATO

I guess they don’t work well with MTB front mechs then, same as shimano?

Barry. I’ll buy your rival if you tell me why they are better than apex, force etc.

They all pretty much work the same; you won’t get Red for £100, but maybe Force. Rival usually sells for about £70ish and works perfectly. I think the main difference between them all is the weight.

dantsw13

I have 10 SPD rival – very good, and lighter than ultegra.

mboy

They all pretty much work the same; you won’t get Red for £100, but maybe Force. Rival usually sells for about £70ish and works perfectly. I think the main difference between them all is the weight.

I’ve seen RED STI’s go for £100, but to be fair, they were snapped up in mere moments on a Facebook Group.

The only real difference between Apex/Rival/Force is weight (increasing levels of carbon replace aluminium as you go up the range), but when you get to RED you get a MUCH nicer hood shape (which is standard on all 11spd SRAM road groupsets) and a shorter/sharper throw of the lever. To be honest, I’ve ridden numerous 10spd SRAM groupsets, and they’re much of a muchness until you get to RED (which is sublime, and I run it on my own bike out of choice over and above Shimano and Campag).

STATO

Cheers Mboy. That’s the sort of info I wanted, I guess that applies to any age of lever but I’ll prob stick to ones from the last few years anyway. Budget is £100 ish so would obv stretch of a good deal could be had.

Cheers all

Let’s see what I can find!
    Rich.

dantsw13

Rival has the carbon levers, apex doesn’t. Makes a big difference in winter!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Road Shifters – help!’ is closed to new replies.