Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM rival hydro brakes problem
  • kilo

The cx bike has seam hydro brakes on it, a couple of weeks ago the rear seemed to lock on. No lever travel and the pads were against the disc. This came on when I was out on the bike, although I had stuck new pads in that morning. Eventually the wheel started to rotate a bit and I managed to get home. Looking at the bike later again there was no break lever travel and the pads were in full contact with the discs stopping the wheel moving. I undid the bolt at the top of the lever this afternoon and a bit of hydraulic fluid ran out straight away so I did the bolt back up and lever travel seems to have returned.

So my questions. What went wrong with the brakes? Have I managed to fix whatever the issue was or am I looking at a full bleed of the system?

dmck16
    Free Member

An increase in temperature causing the hydraulic fluid to expand?

kilo

Not sure about that it was “stuck” this afternoon and it wasn’t that hot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bullandbladder
    Free Member

Sounds like the issue I have with my Guide RS brakes.

were you riding in hot weather at the time? A bit of research when it happened to me reveals a known issue with my brakes –  when left in direct sunlight, the seals on the slave cylinder (lever) pistons swell and stick in their bores.

Cool the lever with an ice pack for an hour and see if it improves.

i emailed sram, and while they never admitted a design fault, they did say there was a replacement parts kit available “to fix this issue”.

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably slightly too much fluid in the system, coupled with a slightly thicker set of pads than the originals. Letting the excess fluid out allows the pads to retract enough to restore running clearance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM rival hydro brakes problem’ is closed to new replies.