Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • sram rear mech worn out in less than 1 year 500miles its back to Shimano for me
  • mott
    Free Member

Has any one elese had proplems with sram mech wearing out so fast.

I bought the x5 rear mech last year with x7 shifters thought I would give them a shot. Great the first 2 months but then the shifter started playing up when you pressed the bottom lever it stopped returning.The rear mech pviots all wore out and the mech was hanging at an angle.

I think I will stick with shimano still got a rear mech that I have been running for then years and it in better shape then the sram after 1 year same for the shifters will put them back on from my other bike

chvck
    Free Member

Great the first 2 months but then the shifter started playing up when you pressed the bottom lever it stopped returning

I prefer sram just because it feels more “clicky” but this happens to my levers too! Anyone know why/an easy fix? It doesn’t bother me too much I just get used to having to flick it back but a fix would be nice!

FWIW, my sram mechs last for ages just fine and they take a fair mashing from rocks too!

ssboggy

I’ve had the same thing with a X9 rear mech, pivots were all shot but the jockey wheels didn’t look worn at all.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Same for me with an X9 on my Crush. Made from cheese.

andyfla
    Free Member

Been through 2 sets of jockey wheels over 4 years and now just noticed the pivots are shot, so no worries about buying a new one

snowpaul
    Free Member

SRAM drivetrain parts dont last vs comparable shimano offerings – but thats just my limited experience…

paul

therealhoops
    Free Member

I killed many a SRAM until I bought an XO.

never looked back

D0NK

I killed many a SRAM until I bought an XO.

does not compute, you found lots of sram stuff to be short lived so decided to splash out on the flagship model.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My old shape X7 mech went all floppy in a relatively short space of time – two years to be precise. I have an X9 dating from late 2005 that’s still going strong on the missus’ bike.

I’ve also got a two year old X9 on my AM bike that’s just fine too. It doesn’t like changing up to the smallest cog, but that’s a foible of that particular year’s X9 for you.

On the whole, not much to grumble about but I have to concede that Shimano kit seems far, far better made. My 2004 Deore shifters are now on their fifth bike (stepson 2’s) and having checked the internals the other night whilst chaning cables, there’s no trace of grit or black grease anywhere.

glenh
    Free Member

In my experience, SRAM rear mechs = sloppy / wobbly very quickly.

However, since they use twice the cable pull of shimano ones, I find they keep working reasonably well even when very sloppy.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

SRAM drivetrain parts dont last vs comparable shimano offerings

i beg to differ. i went to sram x9 (both mechs and shifters) about 5 years ago and really liked it. about 2 years ago on a rebuild i got a deal from merlin on xt shadow mechs and shifters. after about a year the front mech developed play, i’ve had this with every xt mech i have owned since 1994.

anyway, just set up the winter hardtail again, 3 year old well used x9 on it, and its perfect and as positive as ever. infact the only thing with xt i prefer over it is the two way shifters. ot5herwise, x9 positive clunk for me!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Hmmm… which of two brands designed to wear out quickly is the better? Neither! That’s why I went singlespeed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Top swing Shimano front mechs seem to go rattly pretty quickly whichever model they are.
    Bottom swing ones just keep going. Got one on my hardtail which was used daily for nearly 8 years on the commuter, before being put in the spares box, only to be resurrected after a year. No slop in the pivots at all.
    Had a lovely original M900 XTR that was immaculate, but didn’t fit the frame. Soon snapped up on retrobike

andy7t2
    Free Member

been running sram for the last 3 years and not even had to index the bike yet always a +ve shift in both directions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘sram rear mech worn out in less than 1 year 500miles its back to Shimano for me’ is closed to new replies.