Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SRAM PG-1030 vs Shimano SLX HG81 vs XT CS-M771 Cassette? Wear on alu hubs?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Got a hope Evo 2 hub with some nasty bites already from my SLX HG81 1-36, since I ride 99.5% on flatland I don’t need the high gears and I’d rather take closer gearing and lower weight, so thinking of getting a SRAM PG-1030 11-28, PG-1050 11-28, SLX HG81 11-32 or XT CS-M771 11-32 cassette.

I also use tend to only use the 3 highest gears, so being able to replace the 3 smallest sprockets instead of the whole cassette would be a nice option – what cassettes could I easily / reasonably find those for?

Is any of the above much less likely to dig into the freehub than the others?

ivantate
    Free Member

I just swapped a 1050 onto a new hope hub.

3 or 4 largest are on a spider, the others are all single steel gears with separate spacers.  Worst case for the hub.

Looking for something better too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the freehub body is that badly damaged, you can replace it with a stainless steel version.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yohandsome
    Free Member

Went for the CS-M711 as replacement cogs are widely available (not the case for SRAM) and only 3 euros each, which means I could replace the 3 smallest cogs for 9 euros instead of the whole cassette. Interestingly I couldn’t find SLX replacements either.

Anecdotally people say freehub bit is still a problem, but perhaps bit less so on the XT.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SRAM PG-1030 vs Shimano SLX HG81 vs XT CS-M771 Cassette? Wear on alu hubs?’ is closed to new replies.