Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SRAM or Shimano cassette?
  • alpin
    Free Member

so Sram chains are generally considered better but, what about cassettes?

longer lasting?

cheers

alpin
    Free Member

bump……anyone?

ChrisE
    Free Member

SRAM chain and cassette every time. Merlin normally do a good deal for both.

C

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

SRAM cassette every time.

KMC SL Gold chain every time.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Shimano cassettes still shift best for me. With a Shimano chain too, and shifters and mechs of course. Can’t beat a full Shimano system. 😀

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

….and I use Sram everything…..you can’t beat a full Sram system. 😆

MS
    Free Member

I mix. Shimano system apart dorm sram cassette and chain!

Chain stays shineeeey for longer!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Whichever is the cheapest at the time the difference is zero

allyharp

I’m with pantsonfire – whichever is cheapest.

coopersport1
    Free Member

If your a weight fiend then the 11-32 xt cassette is lighter than the eqivalent SRam 990, I think they both shift as well. Sram chain though!

giantjason
    Free Member

i am with Dave and have sram everything – shifters, chain, cassette, rear and front mechs……no reason why but i prefer it to the shimano stuff. just one of those things i suppose.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Any more thoughts???
    I dont know if i should go for XT cassette with Sram chain (again)
    or Sram PG-990 cassette with Sram PC-991 chain.
    Both work out same price from Merlin.
    😕 😕

avalanche
    Free Member

XT casette +-250g . Sram 990 comes in at over 300g. XT is better looking too. Buy the Sram chain and replace it as it reaches .75 degrees stretch.

onandon
    Free Member

A 990 cassette isnt over 300g at all.
    they are around 270 ,however, the Xt will be a tad lighter.

id go with a KMC SL chain and XT cassette personally

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Weight is not really an issue to me as i dont think i would be able to tell the difference between a few hundred grams.

Which cassette has superior shifting?
    Im running X0 shifters and X0 rear mech..

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I have had 3 SRAM cassettes (on new bikes) and each one has either had teeth broken off or I’ve bent them. Had numerous Deores, XTs, LXs and now a couple of SLXs and no problems so far…

I use SRAM or KMC chains though.

catnash
    Free Member

I have settled on XT cassette XT HG 93 chain, XT chainset though with the sram link. I have just changed the chain at .75% wear to the 971 that was new with the bike and and I can’t tell the difference. I had ordered a new 770 cassette and 93 chain from merlin just before the price rise so should be on the bike before winter. Have X0 rear and X9 shifters.
    Still searching for reasonable priced inner and middle rings, just no point in changing the outer, hardly use it. A race face bashring is cheaper than a 44t 770 outer ring.

Saying all this there’s something about that KMC gold chain……

4ndyB
    Free Member

XT cassette & KMC chain (with X9 rear mech, shifters & XT front mech)

XT is cheaper, lighter & will not gouge a ProII freehub body as badly as some other cassettes.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Ok cool, Thanks guys.
    😉
    That makes it a bit clearer. I’ve been mulling over this for over a week now. Its doin my nut in as want to make the right choice.

I guess im gonna stick to the XT cassette and Sram chain. Never had problems with it on my previous setup so I guess I would be silly to change. 🙂

I have had 3 SRAM cassettes (on new bikes) and each one has either had teeth broken off or I’ve bent them.

Does not sound good at all 🙁

avalanche
    Free Member

Sorry to be pedantic,on and on, Sram PG990 11-34 is 300g and the 11-32 is 290g. My mistake.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That makes it a bit clearer. I’ve been mulling over this for over a week now. Its doin my nut in as want to make the right choice.

You are extremely unlikely to notice any difference.

mucker

I recently had a freehub on a xero hub changed by the guys at my local halfords, however when I picked it up the cassete (9speed deore) was missing, so the guy said ‘no probs, I’ll give you one of the shelf, will this sram one do’, it seemed to be the same level as missing one so told him to go ahead. When he tried to fit it he found the lock nut could’nt catch on the threads, one of the other mechs came over when he saw what was happening and said he had encountered this before with sram cassetes and to try another one, which I’m glad to say was fine. Guy reckons sometimes the spacers between the cogs sometimes is too wide. Just a cautionary tale.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

You are extremely unlikely to notice any difference

I probably wont notice the difference TBH, however just want to get one that wont fall apart and it seems that Sram cassettes seem to be a bit unreliable, from what i’ve heard so far.

njee20
    Free Member

So get the Shimano one!

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

So get the Shimano one!

Dont worry, I will.
    Thanks for the input!

fotorat
    Free Member

990 looks better than XT but I dont ride my bike starring at my cassette so XT for me

steve_b77
    Free Member

XT or SLX cassette with KMC X9.93 chain, bomb proof shifting in all weathers.

Don’t like SRAM Chains, they just kinda wear out quickly for me

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SRAM or Shimano cassette?’ is closed to new replies.