Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SRAM NX or shimano slx???
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening…
    Along with the theme of asking stupid questions as I have of late… which is the better groupset? NX or SLX?
    I can get both for about £250 which is the ceiling of what I have to spend on a groupset
    Cheers

chestrockwell

SLX as it is Shimano. You can always upgrade the cassette later.

prawny

I haven’t used NX but I’ve got SLX on my new bike and it’s very pleasant to use. I like shimano stuff, so I’m hoping this carries on in the same vain.

I’ve heard the cassettes aren’t much cop though, may we’ll try an NX cassette when this one wears out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You might be able to get the NX cheaper by buying the Laura Trott MTB 1 for £350, grab the bits you want and sell the surplus.

davosaurusrex

CRC had a full GX drivetrain for 250 a couple of weeks back. No brakes though

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that with brakes?

If not, I’d mix and match XT shifter & mech, Sram XG1150 cassette, SLX chainset & chain.

Must be about £250 from CRC, if you have BC discount?

daftvader
    Free Member

No, I already have xt brakes…

daftvader
    Free Member

And the cheapest I’ve been able to do it is 246 from crc

chakaping
    Free Member

If it had to be SLX or NX I’d go for SLX, with a view to switching to the Sram 10-42t cassette later on.

mboy
    Free Member

More direct shift on NX than SLX IMO. That and prefer the SRAM clutch derailleurs, not such a fan of the need to switch Shimano mechs.

Only reason not to like NX is the integrated bar clamp on the shifter, which means it can’t be integrated with the brake. For that reason alone I’d upgrade to a GX shifter myself, but I’m being picky.

daftvader
    Free Member

I have to be honest I always preferred my ooooold X9 to shimano stuff… may give it a go…

andyl
    Free Member

Ditch the NX cassette boat anchor from day 1 on ebay and get either a GX (£75) if you can fit an XD driver to your hub or go for a Sunrace 11-46T if not.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Got my nx groupset from here, great service and quick delivery

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/sram-nx-1x11s-gxp-groupset

coblck
    Free Member

Used shimano for years but recently got nx rear mech, cassette, with gx 1400 cranks and gx shifter and extremely happy with them much lighter shift and in my opinion better clutch with the added bonus of cage lock as well. only con i can see is that cassette is heavier but you can use 11 speed shimano/sunrace cassette with the sram parts which i will be doing once my cassette is worn. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SRAM NX or shimano slx???’ is closed to new replies.