Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sram hose with Shimano olive and barb?
  • alpin
    Free Member

I screwed up.

Don’t know why I cut the hose, but the five Augustiner at work today may have had something to do with it…..

I could have just pulled the house through the frame and reconnected the hose to the lever, but in my slightly skewed wisdom I cut the hose.

Are Shimano olives and barbs compatible with Sram hoses?

stevextc
    Free Member

You could always cut out the barb from the bit you cut off and reuse the olive until you replace (assuming you didn’t cut so close you can’t get another cut)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Guessing you had a stealth-a-majig on the end for reconnecting but now cut the cable.

Situation a bit like this…

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-guide-barbolive/

Suggestion is maybe, though reading elsewhere says compatibility no. Aside from fit, I’d wonder about DOT5.1 having issues with Shimano olives and barbs, although usually it’s seals that are the problem.

If it’s new you might get away with reusing the existing bits. Do you get spare ones in the box/bag with the thing anyway?

otsdr
    Free Member

They are definitely not compatible, at least judging by outside appearance. The old insert is most often reusable (can be unscrewed from the old bit of hose). I’ve never heard of reusing an olive, they compress when installed and can’t be removed non-destructively.

The olives are quite differently shaped, but at the same time they are both made of soft metal; depending on how much you want your brake back (and if you are willing to possibly lose another 1cm or so of hose), you _could_ try using a Shimano olive and hope it doesn’t leak.

stevextc
    Free Member

They are definitely not compatible, at least judging by outside appearance. The old insert is most often reusable (can be unscrewed from the old bit of hose). I’ve never heard of reusing an olive, they compress when installed and can’t be removed non-destructively.

They can be removed .. you just cut away the hose after removing the barb.. whether they still seal well is another matter as is getting them onto the remaining hose (it will wear off some of the outer) and to some extent depends how crushed up they were for the first tighten…

From experience the recommended torque is somewhere in the mid point… the olive still has some life left… but its an obvious YMMV… and obviously you may die …

I no longer have my SRAM but with Shimano I have managed to change cables over from the factory torque… then compress just a bit more next time..  stick some dry paper towel in the hood/cover and inspect regularly for signs of leaking.. (Not sure how that works with DOT but with mineral oil it’s apparent if there is any leakage into a dry shop towel)

At least the existing olive it the right shape…if you can get it over the hose. The shimano olive is a different shape.

I’ve reused an olive .. for a weekend… then got home and the SRAM Olive and barb arrived… so whipped it off and put on the new one.. However each time you do this you lose a bit more hose…

I’d wonder about DOT5.1 having issues with Shimano olives and barbs

No both are metal …

alpin
    Free Member

no, swapped the Guide brakes for XT. in my drunken stupor i thought i’d cut the hose when in reality i could just have removed the hose from the lever and pulled it through the frame.

i’ll go to the bike shop in a bit….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sram hose with Shimano olive and barb?’ is closed to new replies.