Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SRAM GX – missing cable adjuster?
  • superjohn71
    Free Member

I’m a SRAM virgin and am building a bike with a brand new GX 10 speed rear mech. Where the red arrow points in the enclosed pic – should there be a barrel adjuster in there for the cable outer to sit in and allow adjustment? I would expect one on a Shim / Camp mech. Or is this not where the cable feeds through at all? Looks like the right place to me. If there is meant to be an adjuster here, is it the same thread / size as a Shimano one? All help much appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pmoEG1HBh3CJTZvd6

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Nope, SRAM just has the barrel adjuster at the shifter.

superjohn71
    Free Member

Does that mean I’ve made a bit of a boo boo trying to mate it with SRAM 10 speed road shifters? I’m thinking they don’t have cake adjustment built in and I’m going to need an in line adjuster if some kind?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Road mechs have adjusters at the mech end and MTB at the shifter end (which is brilliant as you can adjust on the fly).

Not sure the cable pull ratios are compatible either, but there are ways around that (Wolftooth TanPan). I’m sure you could get a barrel adjuster you can use at the rear mech. Jag wire do one that might work with the rear mech. I got one in a jag wire cable kit so happy to send you it in the post so you can give it a go. I don’t have any use for it and have a couple on my commute bike anyway.

superjohn71
    Free Member

Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I’ve got some hiding somewhere from when I last built up a cross bike. I think I checked when I was getting the parts together for this build and 10 speed SRAM pull ratios are the same for road / MTB, but I guess I’ll find out! 🙂

Part of the problem is that I got all the bits together in 2017, but am only just putting it together!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Sram 10 speed MTB and road stuff is interchangeable. Used to have GX mech matched with Rival brifters.

In-line barrel adjuster should do the trick nicely.

Cheers!
    I.

superjohn71
    Free Member

Sorted. Found a packet of Jagwire ‘mikey’ adjusters that fit perfectly in the mech. It’s all adjusted up and shifting fine. Ta for everyone’s help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SRAM GX – missing cable adjuster?’ is closed to new replies.