Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sram Guide… Wandering bite-point. Other options?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Sram Guide on both mine and the GFs bikes.

Nice and powerful with God modulation, blah blah blah…. However, we both have the problem that after several thousand meters of descending the bite-point gets closer and closer to the bar. The pistons don’t seem to adjust to pad wear.

Previously had Shimano and can’t remember having that same problem halfway through the day.

The problem can be overcome by removing the wheel and pumping the pads further together. Not ideal, but a quick enough solution.

Mine are RSC and the bite-point is already around all the way out.

Used to have Zee on my old bike but they kept pissing oil out of the lever. Have things improved?

Anything with compatability with Sram matchmaker?

Any other brakes that are up to the job of bike park bashing?

warpcow
    Free Member

It’s time to buy some Hopes, Shirley?

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I have the exact some problem with my front RS. The back one self adjusts but the front one refuses to and I have the keep winding out the reach adjuster. No idea why it does this, its so annoying! Even doing a pad reset doesn’t solve the problem. Will be watching this to see what others suggest.

trout
    Free Member

have you tried the zip tie round the lever overnight trick

tdog
    Free Member

Watches thread with interest as found this on my first ride with a new set of rsc.

Not as powerful as my original rsc with 160mm on hardtail even though today I rode the upgraded rsc with 180mm rotors on my full suss.
    Maybe I’ll give them bedding in time…?

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s air. It’s always air. Do a mini bleed (just the lever) to fix.

julzm
    Free Member

OH and I both have Guide Ultimates on our bikes and not had this problem at all. We were Hope E4 fans before these brakes. Only downside seems to be that they go through brake pads fairly quickly.

Is it a warranty issue perhaps?

joebristol

Full day of BPW done recently with Guide Rs on 200/180mm rotors and standard organic pads. I didn’t get any change to the bite point or any reduction in braking power all day.

It sounds like you have air in the lines somewhere – I’ve never once had an issue with either my guide rs mk1’s on my last bike or guide r mk2 on my current bike.

alpin
    Free Member

have you tried the zip tie round the lever overnight trick

Will give it a go, but this is happening over the course of a day.
    Over 4000m of descending on Friday. Halfway through the day the bite point on the GF’s bike was overly close to the bar.
    Same happened to me yesterday…. Fair enough, almost 9000m in two days on steep trails, but as I said, never really had this problem with my old Shimano.

Will give the brakes a bleed over winter. Both bikes are due an overhaul (seen loads of hills this year).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Back brake on my set does this. Bleed issue.

Tough to bleed well but good once done.

nickdavies

They need fluid change and a bleed.
    Guides are more than up to the job, but you need to go to the alps (assuming that’s where you are to get that kind of descent) with fresh fluid. Ill normally do mine every few months before going on holiday, it’s a 30 min job to do both. I didn’t have time this year before leaving and they were terrible until I bled them, no front brake half way down a steep descent is no fun!

alpin
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll try a bleed, but I don’t fancy doing it each week….

ninenailspete
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem with my RSCs this summer: fine on UK descents but pulling to the bar on longer downhills with no compensation for pad wear. I’ve just had them replaced on warranty. No feedback from SRAM on exactly what the issue was, but they were bled properly before the trip with fresh fluid.

I put an older set of Zees on in the meantime and they were flawless on the same terrain.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sram Guide… Wandering bite-point. Other options?’ is closed to new replies.