Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SRAM Guide swinglink upgrade
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Looking for some advice. Is it possible to retrofit the SwingLink feature from a Guide RS brake into a Guide R lever body?

I found myself in trouble a few times at the weekend with my brakes snatching a bit readily on some chalky descents, and wondered if a bit more modulation is needed. I’m actually on the Guide RE brakes, which combine a simple R lever with 4-pot calipers, so plenty of power.

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, you just get the Guise RS/RSC levers!
    Pivot is different in the R (pressed as opposed to threaded) and the lever is pressed as opposed to cast. Not sure about the body, think that may be different as well. Off the top of my head, The least you need is lever, pivot, swing link assembly, and plunger.

REs are Code calipers/Guide R levers, right? Probably cheapest to buy some secondhand (or 72 quid CRC) Guide RSs, swap the levers with yours, then sell the Guide R brakes you’ve just created 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Cheers submarined. I guess I was hoping I could just get a replacement lever blade with fittings and stick it in the existing lever body. Never mind.

submarined
    Free Member

You may be able to, I’m not sure what they’re like for spares, I know you can get some parts but I can’t see it being that cost effective.
    A lot of the above is from my hazy limited experience of owning both types of lever and having to take them apart to fix the sticky piston issue.

The RS lever is so much better than the R though, both in terms of build feel and brake feel/power. I’d say it’s worth looking in to. If definitely be tempted to try and pick up some levers somehow and swap.
    I really rate the Guide, and can only imagine the Code calliper makes them even nicer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Guide swinglink upgrade’ is closed to new replies.