Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM force shifters – expected behaviour
  • AlexSimon

On my Force CX1 shifters, when it’s in the lowest gear, you can still push the lever enough for another gear (which doesn’t exist and often results in an upshift!)

Is this normal, or have I got something set up wrong?

Also if you hold the lever in the pushed position, it can sometimes cancel the upshift, but I haven’t worked out a reliable technique. Any definitive answer?

Ta

redmist
    Free Member

Mine are the same, I find it doubly cruel that when you downshift you don’t just get the empty ‘click of doom’, but it actually shifts you up! You learn fast though!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Badly adjusted limit screw.

When set correctly, they have a ghost shift. This is what you are experiencing when you try and shift up again, even though in highest cog, and it cancels. It almost feels like its going to shift up again, then makes a clicking sound but doesn’t shift at all. When set correctly this action should happen reliably every time you try and upshift in first.

There are youtube vids on it. I found it ultra tricky to get the limit screw set exactly correctly, but once there works exactly as it should, and not yet needed to readjust, 2000miles and counting.

AlexSimon

So – I’m getting what you call a ‘ghost shift’ (which in itself is annoying – it would be better if the lever didn’t move like on pretty much every other system out there including sram’s own mtb levers).
    But the ‘cancel’ part is unreliable. Often needing an extra push or a slight release.
    I’ll try and find the youtube vids.

AlexSimon

ok – so according to this vid:

I have to adjust the limit screw so that the mech goes slighly further towards the spokes than the normal (where you would have them directly in line).

Is that what you did UrbanHiker?

wind-bag
    Free Member

When set correctly, they have a ghost shift. This is what you are experiencing when you try and shift up again, even though in highest cog, and it cancels. It almost feels like its going to shift up again, then makes a clicking sound but doesn’t shift at all. When set correctly this action should happen reliably every time you try and upshift in first.

I have two bikes with Force 1, and this is exactly how it shifts, the extra click gives the confidence that the chain is locked onto the largest sprocket. The full range of gears have always been available and both shift reliably…I wonder if it would accept another sprocket?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Yep, pretty much exactly as the video shows. Though obviously he seems to get it spot on first go, and it took me best part of an afternoon! Its reminded me that mine never got reliable until the b limit screw was set correctly too.

Technically it might not be called a ghost shift, I may have made that up totally. Was over a year ago I did mine.

Took a while to get used to, but now I quite like it. Like wind-bag says, can be used to check in lowest gear. But also works nicely if moving multiple gears in one shift, as it naturally limits with a familiar cancel click feel.

daern
    Free Member

Mine do a “ghost shift” when the lever is pressed properly. If I half-heartedly press it, then of course it upshifts to teach me a lesson.

I would swap them for the Ultegra on my CX bike in an instant :-/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM force shifters – expected behaviour’ is closed to new replies.