Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SRAM Eagle derailleur cable install.
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

I need to install a new inner gear cable to my SRAM GX derailleur and been watching the guides on how to set up and just have a couple of questions if anyone can help as my chain is already on – I just wanted to ask about the derailleur set up/position mainly.

So new cable at the lever is simple, and when attaching to the derailleur I believe I will need to have the chain on the smallest cog and the lever clicked to match this cog.

My question is though – what position should I have the derailleur in when attaching the new cable? Just as it is with the chain attached, take chain off the front ring to free up slack or put the clutch on the derailleur so the chain is slack?

Also, once this is all set up – do you pull any tension back through the cable?

The rest of the setup on the guide looks easy enough to set up.

binman

Smallest cog, fully clicked and take up the tension.

Check your high and low stops before you fix the cable and check your b tension screw adjustment with the plastic template while you are there.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thank you. Do this with the derailleur just sitting normally with chain attached to front and back or take chain off front ring or put on clutch?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Murray

If all you’re changing is the cable there’s no need to adjust the high stop, low stop and b tension.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I need to set it up properly as reason I am running new cable is because I made a slight rookie mistake when indexing gears and ended up cutting cable too short – don’t ask (in my defence it was my first time and I was rushing!).

So going to fit new cable, take my time and learn how to do it properly. It’s not like I’m short of time or things to do lol

coatesy
    Free Member

I find it’s easier to route the cable with the cage locked forward as it gives more access around the quadrant. Don’t be tempted to pull the cable tight before clamping it, as it needs a little slack in it to index correctly (and with the leverage employed, it’s easy to move the mech away from it’s stop without noticing).

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thank you all. Cable coming tomorrow so will see what I can do!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Cable is in but quick question. Before setting up is there a position that the high screw should be in? Screwed all the way in or out or does it mitt matter too much as will be adjusting anyway?

frogstomp

Cable is in but quick question. Before setting up is there a position that the high screw should be in? Screwed all the way in or out or does it mitt matter too much as will be adjusting anyway?

You can set the limit screws without the cable in by pushing on the derailleur yourself and turning the cranks (with the bike suspended). In many ways it’s best to do it without the cable because it takes the possibility of tension and / or shifter issues out of the equation.

1. Wind both of the limit screws all of the way in. You may need to push the derailleur onto a lower gear to take the pressure off the H-limit screw to allow you to do this.

2. Whilst spinning the cranks, back off the H-limit screw until the chain drops onto the smallest sprocket and so that when viewed from behind the upper jockey wheel is in line with the smallest sprocket. You should now be able to push against the derailleur while turning the cranks to shift up a few sprockets and when you let go of the derailleur (still turning the cranks) it should drop down onto the smallest sprocket nicely.

3. Push the derailleur whilst turning the cranks to shift up through the sprockets until it won’t go any further. It may not be able to shift up to the largest sprocket at this point.

4. Back off the L-limit screw until the chain shifts onto the largest sprockets and then a little more so that, when viewed from behind, the upper jockey wheel is inline with (or slightly outboard of) the largest sprocket.

You should now be able to push / release the derailleur through all of the gears.

5. With the derailleur held in the lowest gear (highest sprocket) position check that the distance between the upper jockey wheel and the largest sprocket is correct (either using the tool, or it should be ~15mm). If not, use the B-screw to adjust the gap.

Once you’ve done all that you can install the cable (make sure the shifter is shifted to the highest gear and the cable adjuster is wound nearly all of the way in) and index the gears.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Smashing! That’s great!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I think my main issue was I was pulling the cable too tight and not just taking up the slack!

coatesy
    Free Member

That’s why I warned you about it 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Eagle derailleur cable install.’ is closed to new replies.