Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM drivetrain durability?
  • Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

I bought a new frame last august and transferred all my old drive train across, first ride out I notice a huge amount of chain-slap, on inspection the clutch on my 11 speed gx (12 months old) was worn out and unadjustable. So not wanting the chain to damage my new frame I bought an NX rear mech with the type 3 clutch and installed it with a new chain.

The time has come to change the chain, its between 0.75 and 1.0 stretch on my checker. The rear mech is really wobbly, with about 20mm play at the bottom jockey wheel.

So it seems a GX rear mech lasts about 12 months before the clutch goes, an NX lasts 9 months before the pivots wear.

I understand the sram 12 rear mech will work with an 11 speed shifter and it would allow me to fit a 11-50t cassette at some point in the future if I wanted. Does anyone know SRAM eagle is more durable?

I don’t mind paying double for 3 times the life. What is the thoughts on XX1 X01 or X1 for long term durability?

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

It looks like the Shimano rear mech might work as well, I’m pretty sure the new XT is the same as XTR…. Any thoughts on that as an option?!

https://www.kustombikes.co.uk/article/6-shimano-xtr-m9100-rear-derailleur-is-compatible-with-sram-eagle-12-speed

Cheers

Rockhopper

My NX rear mech has a similar amount of play – still works perfectly though!

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

It had a bit of play from new, but just at the hanger bolt. Now it has loads of play at the pivots, I’ll probably keep using it until I figure out what to do.

The 12s SRAM appeals, but the longer cage might be a bit more exposed. I always liked the previous xt mechs I used in the past, so I’ll mebbie give that a go.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

I bought a new frame last august and transferred all my old drive train across, first ride out I notice a huge amount of chain-slap, on inspection the clutch on my 11 speed gx (12 months old) was worn out and unadjustable. So not wanting the chain to damage my new frame I bought an NX rear mech with the type 3 clutch and installed it with a new chain.

Not wishing to sound patronising, but you did make sure to change the length of the old chain to suit the new frame? It’s just the way you say you instantly noticed the chain slap, where (presumably) you didn’t before..

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

It was definitely the clutch, as soon as I replaced it with the brand new NX (with no change to the chain), it worked perfectly.

The lack of clutch is noticeable by hand tbh. It’s a shame it’s not adjustable like the Shimano clutchs.

JonEdwards

SRAM clutches are very much adjustable (at least they are on 11spd). Prise the circular black cap off and underneath is a T50(I think) Torx head. That lets you adjust the clutch tension. Its also reasonably easy to strip the whole thing down and give it a clean/service. I’m sure there’s youtube vids of how to do it.

I’ve just replaced my first 11spd XX1 rear mech. A bit over 5 years old and had the crap beaten out of it. One of the inner cage pivots has worn quite badly which was affecting shifting, and I’ve also managed to break off the widget that locks the cage forward for wheel removal. One of the tougher rear mechs I’ve owned. Picked up a near mint replacement off ebay for sub-£60.

The only real weakness I’ve found with the XX1 mechs is the jockey wheels, but even there, its pretty easy to press new bearings into them.

The cassette (X01) is also heading to end of life now – given up replacing chains at 0.75% as new ones don’t mesh properly anymore. Still works under load fine, but is noisy now. I reckon to get through 3 chains and a ring maybe each year. The cassette is on its second replacement 42T cog also. Still – not bad for 5 years of all weather riding in an are notorious for its grinding paste geology.

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

SRAM clutches are very much adjustable (at least they are on 11spd). Prise the circular black cap off and underneath is a T50(I think) Torx head. That lets you adjust the clutch tension. Its also reasonably easy to strip the whole thing down and give it a clean/service. I’m sure there’s youtube vids of how to do it.

I think the type 2 clutches on the original xx1 and x01 were adjustable, the type 2.1 and most recent type 3 arent as they infringed on the Shimano patent. There’s a little pin through the torx cap so that you can’t adjust it. I couldn’t remove the pin on my GX mech so couldn’t tighten it.

mattyfez

Did you adjust the chain length or fit a new chain when changing setups?

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

I didn’t, same chain length. Used GX vs new NX mech.

There was no damping, it felt just like a none clutch mech.

Premier Icon snooze
    Subscriber

I’ve just had a tooth shear off on the largest sprocket of a SRAM Eagle GX cassette. It’s only 6 months old and has been ridden about 300miles……………

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.