SRAM CX1 hydro disc – win.

Home Forum Bike Forum SRAM CX1 hydro disc – win.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SRAM CX1 hydro disc – win.
  • gee

Just fitted this to my Warbird, what a difference! With a 40t chainring, it has the same ‘easy’ gear as my old CX70 setup, but the mech and chain doesn’t smack the frame and you’re always in the right chainring. The ‘hard’ gear is a bit easier but absolutely not a problem unless you take it road racing 😉

Brakes are fantastic – just like Mtb hydros but with drop bars. Fantastic modulation and a really light action. The KCNC Razor rotors make them feel a bit strange though – those won’t be fitted for long…

Gave it a good thrashing round the Surrey hills today and it was brilliant – light action gears and superb brakes. Gears are in a different league to last time I tried double tap – on Apex a few years ago, which was really heavy and vague. The new Force double tap is really light and positive.

Thoroughly recommended. And yes, I actually paid for this lot so it’s not a sponsor promo!!

GB

mattsccm

Good to hear. I am leaning that way. Just trying to put aside my dislike of cassettes with a huge range as the changes are never as good as a 1 tooth step.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Tempted. Will be getting the chainring at the very least.

atlaz

I’m using SRAM rival and the HRD700 brakes on the winter road bike. Quite impressed with the brakes and although I can’t say the doubletap is as good as the ultegra on my summer bike, it’s still good.

gee

Cassette is 11-32 11 speed and so ratios are fine.

I think you need the mech and chainring – it doesn’t work with only the chainring. Mech is compatible with 10 speed sram though.

GB

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

CX1 chainring… 10spd shifters and X9 type 2 mech is my less spendy plan. With XT or XTR 10spd cassette.

gee

I’m not sure Mtb SRAM is cross compatible with road.

GB

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

It usually is, isn’t it?

FWIW, Campag and SRAM are compatible (10 speed at least) and I’m using 10 speed campag shifters with 10 speed mtb SRAM clutch mech. Works perfectly.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Not the 11 speed stuff, but 10 speed is, so this:

CX1 chainring… 10spd shifters and X9 type 2 mech is my less spendy plan. With XT or XTR 10spd cassette.

Should be fine, although I’d like to see some Campag in there for full on ‘mash up will it/won’t it work ambiguity’ 😉

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

I’d like to see some Campag in there for full on ‘mash up will it/won’t it work ambiguity

Done it:

Shifters: Campag
    Cassette: Shimano
    Chain: Shimano
    Rear Mech: SRAM X9 type 2
    Front Mech: Ancient Shimano

🙂

mattsccm

One fairly current version is 10 speed Campag shifters, 10 speed SRAM casstte,(the nasty gappy 11/32)KMC chain, old 6 speed Deore rear mech and Suntour front mech next to a Stronglight, nominally 8 speed, triple chainset. Campag shifters, especially the front will deal with anything.Chains don’t count nor do front mechs. Give that 9 out of 10 for shiting at the back
    More normal version has a 9 speed Campag Comp triple rear mech, ancient Record front, 10 speed shifters to the same cassette. That is as good as anything else once there is a few miles into the chain and pulley wheels.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Should work fine.
    I’m running X0 Type 2 rear mech with Rival shifters and an XT 11-32 cassette.
    Fitted CX1 cranks yesterday after my old FSA ones decided to break. I’m using an Absolute black CX ring rather than the CX1 as it was only about £50 compared to £90 for the CX1.
    It’s running with a KMC 10 speed chain.

STATO

I’m not sure Mtb SRAM is cross compatible with road.

It is. Marin sell a bike set-up like that.

TBH, dont see the point in CX1, the XX1 design of mech (offset pulley) is not needed for road stuff as the bumps are not as big so you wont get the ghost shifting it is designed to negate. Its only been done (IMO) as a sales thing. A standard clutched mech will work just as well, and still allow you to run a double front if you wanted.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

A standard clutched mech will work just as well, and still allow you to run a double front if you wanted.

Yes and no, a CX1 rear mech is 11 speed, and you can’t use an 11 speed MTB rear mech on a road set up, plus it’s only a bit more expensive than X1 anyway (and cheaper than X01 and XX1), so if you want the closer gaps or wider range of 11 speed then you’ve got to get CX1.

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

The bumps may not be so big but the tyres and frames are much less compliant. I would suggest that road parts are subjected to very similar loads to mtbs especially when on CX bikes.

Besides, XX1 is also designed around the larger cassettes isn’t it and has the offset jockey wheel to allow for that. I think it’s done to keep them consistent – eg an 11 speed mtb or CX mech will work with either’s shifters.

STATO

I think it’s done to keep them consistent – eg an 11 speed mtb or CX mech will work with either’s shifters.

Dont think XX1 is compatible with CX1. For XX1 a part of the design was to allow large cassettes, but part was to deal with bump related shifting. You do get bumps in cross but they are not as rough as hitting stuff fast on a full sus mtb (and remember, mech is on the dropout so gets rattled a lot more than the rider). TBH, its a little bit of a gimmic anyway, decent spring tension on a mech negates that issue enough that very few suffer from it.

gee

That’s what in meant – 11 speed road and Mtb not cross compatible.

GB

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SRAM CX1 hydro disc – win.’ is closed to new replies.