SRAM crank removal ??

Home Forum Bike Forum SRAM crank removal ??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SRAM crank removal ??
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Just about to have a crack at this myself… I’m told it’s basically a self-contained self extracting bolt, so you just undo the inner 8mm bolt til the arm drops off. A bit like XTR M970 except without the external tool.

So if that’s wrong, someone please correct me 😉

bigG

It’s what north wind said. Stick your Allen key in and turn. It’ll all come off very easily.

You don’t need a 16mm hex

nealglover

Ok cool. That sounds easy.

Had half a try earlier, and the 8mm seems to loosen at first, and then get tighter the more I “loosened” it.
    So I thought I would ask first before I broke something.

(what does the 16mm bit do then ??)

Warrenpfo

As a word of warning undo it with some feeling as when doing mine the inner 8mm undid and then tightened up against the 16mm nut. I kept going and put in so much force it pushed the outer 16mm nut straight out not by undoing it but rather by stripping the thread.

So take it easy with the force.

nealglover

Ok, that’s maybe what was happening with mine, and that’s why it tightened again.

Can someone explain what the 16mm part is ?

And if the 8mm part tightens up against it, what do I need to do.

simondbarnes

And if the 8mm part tightens up against it, what do I need to do.

Keep turning. That’s how it works.

The 16mm bit is just a captive stop, it is thread locked in and shouldn’t be removed. The 8mm bolt will loosen for a start, back up against the 16mm cap and tighten a bit, turn it some more from there and you should see the LH arm start to come off.

nealglover

Sounds good to me. I’ll give it a go.

(I have a long history of forcing stuff and breaking it, so thought it was best to ask 🙂 )

nealglover

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some info on removing SRAM cranks ?

It has the 8mm hex inner and 16mm hex outer on the non drive side.

(also where do I find a 16mm hex ??)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SRAM crank removal ??’ is closed to new replies.