Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SRAM crank questions
  • rhysw
    Free Member

Can you use a HT2 BB with SRAM GXP cranks?
    Also do you have to use SRAM chain rings or can you go for middleburn/Shimano etc?

ratherbeintobago

Can you use a HT2 BB with SRAM GXP cranks?

Theoretically, no, as IIRC GXP spindles are stepped down to 22mm. However, Hope (among others) make a GXP adapter sleeve for the NDS bearing – would have thought this would also work with Shimano BBs but don’t know.

Also do you have to use SRAM chain rings or can you go for middleburn/Shimano etc?

Depends on the crank. Triples have a standard BCD so you can use Middleburn/FSA/Raceface/TA/etc chainrings, Shimano rings have a different offset so may not fit. Don’t know about the 2×10 cranks – anyone know if Middleburn etc. are doing aftermarket rings yet?

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

2×10 cranks are 80/120mm. I don’t think Middleburn do them yet, HBC and Carbon-Ti do.

rhysw
    Free Member

Cheers guys

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Theoretically, no, as IIRC GXP spindles are stepped down to 22mm. However, Hope (among others) make a GXP adapter sleeve for the NDS bearing – would have thought this would also work with Shimano BBs but don’t know.

No, you can’t use the hope adapters with a Shimano BB. The Hope BBs have a special bearing with an inner race that sits directly on the axle and the adapters push onto the metal of the bearing. Shimano (and other “normal”) HT2 BBs use a standard sized bearing and plaistic shims to adapt to the axle, this precludes the use of the Hope adapters.

It might be possible to bodge this but it would be a pretty nasty solution. You’re better off getting either a Hope BB with adapters or a GXP type BB from SRAm, Truvativ or someone else. Any GXP compatible BB will fit.

dreednya

Both ROTOR and Raceface do compatible rings, I know the BCD is right as I’m getting some Raceface Turbine cranks to go with my new XX 39:26 chainrings as the spider on my 2-3 year old XX cranks is causing flex issues. Not good when it causes the crank arms to hit the chainstays on my Mojo 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SRAM crank questions’ is closed to new replies.