Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sram compact crank arm rub on chainstays on cx kinesis tripster
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve recently built up a kinesis tripster using my old running gear from my road bike.

The running gear is all sram rival apart from the rear mech which is Xx to fit the 32 tooth cassette.

The chainset is a 34/50 compact with a brand new bottom bracket

In first gear when I put the power down it feels like it is rubbing. When I’m off the bike it looks very close but doesn’t touch. I’m guessing the flex in the frame rubs. I’ve put tape on the frame to protect it but it is getting rubbed off.

I currently have 1 spacer on the drive side. I’ve tried adding another spacer but when it tightens up it just locks and won’t spin freely.

I’m guessing its because the chainset is designed for a 130 rear hub and mines 135.

Any suggestions? Will swooping to a shimano chainset like 105 solve this as it doesnt have the built in tensioner that sram has?

My other thought is a classic square tapered bb as you can choose the length?

Thanks for your time.

damascus
    Free Member

damascus
    Free Member

Its an aluminum frame with a slight indent designed to miss the crank arm.

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got 105 on mine, and it’s reasonably close, but certainly doesn’t rub. From memory, my 105 crank has a slightly more rounded profile at the end, which would probably make all the difference.

EDIT: no need to do it from memory, someone asked me to take a photo of mine a while ago:

damascus
    Free Member

Is that with a spacer? That is much better than mine.

martinhutch

Such small clearances are involved, would dremelling 1mm off the corner of the crank affect strength significantly? That’s the kind of bodge I’d do, but then, I am a proven idiot.

damascus
    Free Member

I have thought about grinding it down but I think a new 105 crankset and a hope bb should do the trick.

feisty
    Free Member

Things like this are genuine justification for upgrades to the Mrs 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why stop at 105 if you’re pulling ‘these low end parts won’t fit my bike, I need expensive ones otherwise the frame may break and you wouldn’t want that would you wife / girl friend / partner”

pdw
    Free Member

No spacers. Crank length and frame size may be different – mine are 172.5mm and 60cm.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, mine is 60cm too or as my friends call it a gate.

My crank arms are 175.

damascus
    Free Member

My bad, they are 172.5

Thank you for everyones help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sram compact crank arm rub on chainstays on cx kinesis tripster’ is closed to new replies.