Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SRAM Code/Guide query
  • samwilk200
    Free Member

Got Guide R at the moment and theyre a tad disappointing in lever feel and power. Wondering whether some RS levers would sort them out or should I try Guide RE or Code R?

Or would a Guide RS lever and Code caliper be better still?

fossy

I have RS and they are great.

Not so sure a Change of lever will make a huge difference.

What about Uber Race Matrix pads! Certainly better than standard

oikeith

I have Guides as well and have been quite happy with them except for the squeal which I havent been able to cure…

But I rode a mates bike around the car park other day who has RS and they felt better, little bit more power and positive lever feel. From reading the R,S and C stand for diff things and the S delivers some more power. When I have some pennys I’ll do the upgrade, from looking the caliper is the same across the range though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have the R’s and RCS’s – the RSC’s feel much better than the R’s which are just on a jump bike that doesn’t see much use.

vincienup
    Free Member

The RS and the RSC have a completely different mechanism inside the lever that contains a cam operated servo. The RSC additionally has a control that allows you to set the bite point (contact point, ‘C’).

The R is a much simpler master cylinder. It shouldn’t really have much less grunt but it will deliver it in a far less modulated fashion.

If a Guide brake is underpowered it’s probably badly bled or set up. They are more progressive than some though, and aren’t intended to be a ‘rock hard lever that sends you over the bars’ feel.

submarined
    Free Member

Yup, big difference between Guide R and Guide RSC/RSC. The RS/C have a swing link thing in the lever that wangs the pistons to the disc really quickly in the first part of the lever travel, then firms up for more feel in the latter part.

I demo’d a bike awith Rs and it was a bit ‘meh’. I also managed to bend the lever in a very minor tumble as it’s just pressed steel, and really weak. I then bought a bike with RSCs and was really impressed – great feel, lots of power, totally different to the Rs. The only reason I swapped was because the hose exits at quite an acute angle to the bars, so was whacking the top tube when the bars spun.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you’ll be disappointed if you swap the R levers to Guide RS ones. I can’t tell much difference between them – and found the Guide RS brakes not quite up to the job on my super-enduro shred sled.

Code calipers (or just a set of Codes and flog the Guides) would be the better bet.

scruff
    Free Member

I’m looking for a set of RS ‘s, it’s hard to tell if I’m looking at the newer S4/bleeding edge version though. Any good deals about on the new ones?

orangefatlad
    Free Member

I’ve attached some RE calipers (effectively Code) to RSC Guide levers, been quite impressed so far. This set up was suggested to me by someone in the alps. Both of us had moved from hope E3’s.

joebristol

I like my Guide Rs overall – running with 200mm / 180mm discs on my bike either Uberbike Sintered pads. Not lacking in power or feel so far.

Had the old version of the guide rs on my last bike and I think the levers felt slightly better quality and maybe they bit a bit earlier in the travel. Not a lot in it as far as I can see and I haven’t lacked power.

If you need more power and don’t like the R lever I’d get some codes. The guide r keeps the same lever you have but bolts on a code caliper. So you’d have more power but similar lever feel.

BoardinBob

Guide R here for a good couple of years and zero issues with power. I’m a big lump of a man and they stop me easily with plenty of modulation and zero fade. That includes big alpine descents with stupid braking

deanfbm
    Free Member

There’s no difference hydraulically between all the guide brakes.

The rs adds a bit of mechanical advantage over the r, the rsc adds bite point adjust and bearings in the lever pivot (pointless) above that.

I find my r really nice vs zee and m8000 though haven’t tried them out on a dh track yet.

I keep on looking around too, decided if it had to be anything it would have to the hope v4.

forkyu
    Free Member

I went from the older guide r to ultimates and theres a huge difference between the two. Carbon lever rolls on a bearing which i noticed right away how much smoother it felt, and pad adjust is very usable. I can make the lever bite right away or have it slowly modulate with a longer lever throw. Running Ice tech 203mm front and back with kool finned organic pads. Best brakes ive owned, (saints, xt, slx guide r and Ultimates for 1 year.

phil5556

Thread from the dead, but a timely review for me cheers @forkyu

I’ve got a set of Guide Ultimates waiting to go on, should be a step up from the Level TLs currently on the bike.

superstu
    Free Member

Interesting Phil, just ordered guide re’s to replace underwhelming level t’s in a 29r FS

oikeith

To go with my post, I did do the lever upgrade and went from Guide R to Guide RS levers and the brake did feel much better than before. But as time went on the lure of the Guide RSC or Ultimates did creep in, I was getting ready to pull the trigger then a friend got a new bike with Code RSCs which felt night and day different.

I have since paid out for Code RSC’s front and rear and don not regret it, very positive smooth lever feel, loads of modulation but also power if needed. The other features which the Guide RSCs have of contact pad adjustment has been handy to get the lever throw and bite exactly where I want it. Running Code RSCs on Shimano Ice Tech Rotars, I actually found the stock SRAM sintered pad really good, good initial bite and no issues with fade when in Morzine, have since returned and replaced pads with E-Racematrix pads which for a few rides have felt as good as the Racematrix pads.

phil5556

Interesting Phil, just ordered guide re’s to replace underwhelming level t’s in a 29r FS

The Ultimates are from CRC they had/have them at £100 each (and 10% off code), obviously destined for a specific bike build as the rear hose is too short. But £30 for a hose kit sorts that.

My Levels had always been fine in UK but for a couple of steeper/longer/scarier bits I’ve just done in the Alps they were a bit lacking. I’m hoping they’ll be a big step up, especially with new 200mm rotors up from 180.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Code/Guide query’ is closed to new replies.