Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SRAM Centerline rotors on Ebay – genuine?
  • PJay
    Free Member

Some years ago I was getting a lot of brake judder with my Shimano RT66 rotors (SLX brakeset) so I bought a set of Centerlines from someone on here (they originally came from CRC); they were great and I’ve used them ever since.

I noticed at the weekend that I noticeable lip was developing on the front rotor (180mm) where the braking service was slowly thinning so put the old, but unworn, RT66s back on and got the judder back.

So I’m looking for a good deal on Centerline rotors (180mm & 160mm). Most online retailers are selling Centerlines in the £35-£40 range, which seems to tally with the $ prices on the SRAM website on Ebay however they start at about £12 and run to about £50, so are the cheapy ones OEM or counterfeit? Some of the online retailers (such as Tweeks) also sale via Ebay with prices in line with their own websites.

fossy

Probably fake.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Give them a go and let us know

frogstomp

They’re cheap on Planet X at the moment if you don’t want to run the risk.

benpinnick

I obviously cant offer any guarantee but SRAM changed the design of the CL rotor a while back to round them off for roadies and so there’s probably piles of square ones lying about from OEs.

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, I did see the Planet X ones and I’ve ordered a 180mm one (the 160s are only Centerlock).

bigfoot
    Free Member

cheers for mentioning planet X, i need a new 180 for my rear. tempted to order a spare for the front as well at that price, i’m guessing the 203mm is a missprint and should read 200 seeing as sram don’t make that size.

postierich
    Free Member

Mine arrived today to go with the bargin Avids from Planet X waiting for new frame to turn up so no stoppy time yet

PJay
    Free Member

For anyone that’s interested, the Planet X rotor turned up today (it was all I ordered so had to pay postage, but still a bargain). It would appear to be OEM (despite the fact that Planet X still list it with a discount from an RRP) as it was in a zip lock plastic bag, but it turned out to be one of the newer rounded design, so I was nicely surprised.

Poopscoop

Any chance of a pic mate?

Not heard of/seen the newer shape ones?

Why is the shape different?

PJay
    Free Member

I had no idea what ‘Rounded’ meant on some of the descriptions of Centerline rotor on online stores; benpinnick mentions it above in relation to roadies.

I did a quick Google a while back and I think that it’s got something to do with UCI concerns about the sharp edges on some rotors and riders cutting themselves (someone else will certainly know more about it than I).

The shape of the rotor is the same but whereas the old rotors had sharp, 90 degree square edges, all the edges on the new rotor have been rounded off.

To be honest, if benpinnick hadn’t already mentioned it, I probably wouldn’t have noticed.

Google throws up some old info. here

Poopscoop

Ah! Right,I see now.

Thanks bud.

bigfoot
    Free Member

mine turned up yesterday, screws in a ziplock bag but the disc was wrapped in tissue paper sandwhiched between 2 thick bits of card. i did expect at the price that it would be OEM.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Centerline rotors on Ebay – genuine?’ is closed to new replies.