Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Sram AXS shifter, anyone lost one yet?
  • escrs
    Free Member

So ive just fitted a Sram GX AXS shifter and rear mech to my bike and got wondering

What if the bolt holding the shifter on comes loose and the shifter falls off mid ride and you dont notice till you try and shift gear

Normally the shifter would be hanging by the gear cable (had this before) so at worst its just a lost bolt

Obviously with AXS this wouldnt happen and the shifter would be gone

So apart from using some good loctite on the shifter bolt what else could you do?

Had something similar happen with my Garmin once (no lanyard thingy attached to the Garmin and the bike) luckily i retraced my steps using my phone until it connected with the Garmin, then searched the reduced area and found it the long grass!

Presume i could do this with the AXS app?

ta11pau1

Don’t think there’s a ‘find my AXS’ option in the app… 🤣

Just do a bolt check every so often? A garmin is different as it’s meant to be easily removable. If any part of your bike that’s meant to be bolted on is loose enough to fall off, you’ve got bigger problems!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When did your shifter or brakes last fall off?

monkeyboyjc

No, never lost one, never heard of anyone loosing one. Not even had one come loose. I guess you’d feel it wobble when shifting if it did loosen over time.

escrs
    Free Member

See my original post, about 6 months ago, shifter bolt came loose, shifter fell off but was hanging by the gear cable, couldnt find the bolt to reattach so i zip tied to the bars for the rest of the ride!

ayjaydoubleyou

Theres a long way to go (i.e. a lot of bolt thread) between loose enough to spin round on the bars, and falling off completely.

bikerevivesheffield

Been riding for 28 years and never had that happen

rickmeister

Loctite blue if you are worried.

simondbarnes

See my original post, about 6 months ago, shifter bolt came loose, shifter fell off but was hanging by the gear cable, couldnt find the bolt to reattach so i zip tied to the bars for the rest of the ride!

I think you just need to check your bike over occasionally 😄

escrs
    Free Member

I think you just need to check your bike over occasionally 😄

It does get a going over once a month, worst one ive had is finishing a day at BPW only to notice im missing 3 bolts off the front rotor and 2 missing off the rear rotor!!!

They were there the day before when i checked how tight they were, replaced the missing ones when i got home and loctited them all!!!

bikerevivesheffield

That’s just poor maintenance

spicer
    Free Member

If you built your bike properly you wouldn’t have needed to make this thread

escrs
    Free Member

Lol@ if i built my bike properly

Bike is built just fine but it gets really used and abused, dont always have the time to check it over after every ride but i try and make sure it does get a going over once a month

Anyway, ill be loctiting the AXS shifter bolt this week along with the bolt that holds the Sram matchmaker to my Hope lever, hopefully that will stop any chance of them coming loose

tomhoward

I once noticed that my brake hoses were making a right racket, knocking together every time I went over bump/rough ground. Was properly irritating.

Then my AXS reverb remote fell off. Reattached properly and what do you know, the brake hoses stopped knocking together…

whatgoesup

*Makes mental note to avoid riding any bikes that the OP has built*

jimmy748

I snapped one off with my elbow while crashing, pedal strike, stem hump and spat out the front door; walked back to bike and picked up the remote laying on the track.

Hurt a bit and a big lump for a good few months afterwards.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

How long are you going without making a shift, even with its gentle touch to shift I think I’d notice any movement of it or detect the rattle, you’d think it would never happen with a normal shifter, but the fact you’ve done it with one suggests an alarming lack of awareness. How on earth do you not notice your shifter hanging by a thread, truly baffled. If you’ve got a habit of under torquing then yeah Loctite is the obvious answer or a bit of string/lanyard or glue an airtag to it 😀

tomhoward

How on earth do you not notice your shifter hanging by a thread,

it sits in a groove on the bar clamp, so even if loose, there isn’t a massive amount of rattling to the touch, until you push it right off. As said, I thought the noise from rattling was hoses knocking together.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

You know what thought did.

DickBarton

Never lost a shifter or brake, but if it is a genuine concern then add a wee spot of picture on the bolt.

whatgoesup

Given the OP has this level of issues with shifters and rotor bolts I hope to god that he treats stem and calliper bolts differently.

honourablegeorge

I have a friend whose shifter fell off, we used one of his disc bolts to reattach it.

I have at other times had to reattach his chainring with cable ties, and rethread his pedals by screwing them in from the back, and we had to repair a different set of his pedals with a bit of wire…..

whatgoesup

I’ve a friend like that. Lovely guy a total PITA to mountain biking with – bike permanently falling apart. Drives me nuts.

reeksy

Drives me nuts.

I hope he uses loctite on them.

To the OP it seems highly unlikely, really. I’ve had a Wahoo fly off after a tree caught it on a tight turn, so i bought the lanyard they sell.

If you’re really concerned I think you could probably create something that would do the same job.

mert
    Free Member

Bike is built just fine

Not if disc bolts fall off within 24 hours of inspection. I’ve done entire seasons (off and on road) without doing anything other than changing consumables…

I’ve a friend like that. Lovely guy a total PITA to mountain biking with – bike permanently falling apart. Drives me nuts.

Yeah, a guy i used to ride with was like that, even had a single speed for simplicity. Pretty much every ride we went on *something* broke, always something that wouldn’t have failed but for 10 minutes of preventative maintenance. Or making an effort to find the creak from the last ride.

martinhutch

Had an ispec one fly off halfway down a descent. Checked them fairly regularly after that, and did notice a couple of them loosening off over time.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.