Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Sram Apex & Rival – how do they compare to Tiagra and 105?
  • davidjey
    Free Member

I’m another with Sram Doubletap on one bike and 105 on another and no problems ‘getting used’ to either. Remembering where reverse is in my GFs car after driving mine causes me far more problems!

Slight hijack: anyone find the lever throw for the front mech a bit long on doubletap? I suspect I’ve just got a poorly set up front mech – it’s never been quite enough of an annoyance to see if there is a problem….

geetee1972
    Free Member

not sure how that qualifies anything?

It’s a different way of saying, ‘he’s been racing bikes since he was 12, so basically the last 22 years, has had bikes with groupsets from the three main manufacturers, has been a sponsored rider by Trek UK so he has enough experience to have a valid opinion’

But like I said, it’s still just an opinion and he would be the first to admit that opinions are like arse holes.

Everyone’s got one and they mostly all stink (some stink more than others though).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SRAM Rival is quite a bit lighter than 105 and Ultegra if that matters to you. Thats why I bought it (plus it was on offer at Merlin last year)

I like it, hoods feel comfier than Ultegra and its easier to shift up gears whilst braking.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

took me a couple of minutes to get used to Double Tap

AlexSimon

Confused. 105 is alot lighter than Apex or vice versa?

Sorry – didn’t mean to confuse.
    Apex lighter than 105

When looking at complete bikes Apex is a lot cheaper than 105
    When looking at groupsets Apex seems overpriced – Force looks better value online.

So when I was looking at complete bikes, the choice is basically Apex or Tiagra. Then the weight differential is even more exaggerated. So I thought I’d put up with the double-tap.

If I’d have been able to get a 105 bike for the same price as an Apex one, then it would be different.

Mind you, I’ve never liked Sram on the mountain bike, so it’s probably biased my opinion.

solar
    Free Member

A little bit late with this but tour’s groupset comparison might be quite helpful – http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

And my 2 cents – I found using the brake lever for shifting on shimano road groups horrible. Might have been because I’d only ever used mtb shifting previously, but I really didn’t get on with it. Especially trying to brake and shift at the same time. People don’t seem to complain about it much though, but I found I much preferred Sram road groups primarily because of this. And from what I can gather apex through to force don’t really have very much differences apart from weight savings, and the sram groups are already lighter than shimano’s offerings by quite a bit.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Sram Apex & Rival – how do they compare to Tiagra and 105?’ is closed to new replies.