Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM Apex 1×11 problem – replace with Shimano?
  • Premier Icon Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

So the Apex 1×11 mech I’ve got has stopped returning to the smaller cogs. I understand this is a known problem. Cable routing is ok and I’ve fitted a new cable….

Essentially the spring/mech appears to be worn out. So do I:

1. replace like for like knowing that the rear mech will have a limited lifespan?
    2. Is there a Shimano rear mech (GRX?) that will play nicely with the Sram shifters?
    3. Bin the whole groups and replace with GRX?

Premier Icon joebristol

Maybe get a better Sram mech – I think Rival / Force are meant to be better.

If you go the full shimano swap it’s quite a bit more costly if you have sti’s.

Premier Icon Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

That could be an idea, just a bit hacked off with Sram. Already had to replace one of the brake calipers after it failed….

Premier Icon pacerc100
    Free Member

IMO Rival is pretty rubbish at shifting as well, son has it on his CX bike. The Force on my bike is OK but would rather have Shimano.

Couple of things to check are the B tension screw as Sram 1×11 is really fussy with that. Also if its anything like my sons Rival check the cable routing on the rear derailleur. The inner cable should go round the black quadrant and then through a hole and to the cable securing bolt. Took me a while to sus that out after a shop had originally replaced the cable incorrectly first time around. The symptoms of this were exactly what you are describing, rubbish shifting to the lower cogs. Works a lot better now we got that sorted but it’s still not Shimano levels of shifting.

Premier Icon Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Yeah, had to fiddle with the B screw when I first got it. It’s done a couple of thousand miles since then, so I Think it’s just the spring in the rear mech has had it….

Premier Icon joebristol

Already had to replace one of the brake calipers after it failed…

Much more likely you’ll have a shimano brake caliper fail tbf.

I didn’t like my shimano 105 road shifters – hated them in fact. Would have gone rival / force 22 but for similar money I could get Di2 – so I’m now on Ultegra Di2. Love that – really good. I figure when my shimano caliper seals fail I’ll try the Hope RX4 calipers designed to fit shimano road systems.

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

When you’re sorting your bike to you leave the rear mech on the top sprocket? If not it’s probably a good idea as it’ll stop the spring from going off.

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Had the misfortune of owning rival for 3 years, to many problems to list.
    Swapped for GRX and now I am at peace.

SRAM = pound shop
    Shimano = MnS

EDIT, SRAM = over priced pound shop

Premier Icon Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

aP – yes, this occured to me yesterday. I live at the top of a hill, so it will have been stored in one of the larger sprockets.

Orretmon – yes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Apex 1×11 problem – replace with Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.