Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • SRAM 1×12 group?
  • krixmeister

Via reddit – SRAM supposedly launching a 1×12 group with a 10-50 cassette.

April fools? Madness? Genius?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Pretty clear that is not supposed to be on the web!

Nothing is going to be officially confirmed at this stage (just look at the embargo dates) but it’s no secret this has been coming for a while.

mikekay
    Free Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt_outandabout

😕

tpbiker
    Free Member

The push for bigger wheels is begining to make sense. Soon the cassette will be bigger than the rear wheel….

Surely if you need a 50 tooth cassette you maybe should be considering a front mech instead..

kimbers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Part of me wonders if there was a shimano badge and it was 11-50 would it be a line to take the cash…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

12 speeds? and a 10 tooth small sprocket? It looks like it’ll wear out really quickly.

Won’t matter so much anyway, the sorts of people who need these big expander cassettes must rarely ride their bikes anyway.

scotroutes

In
    Before
    The
    Thread
    Deletion

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3/10 Dave, tbh it’s not up to your usual standard

woodster

I’d quite happily have a bit more range since I’ve enjoyed the jump from 34 to 36 to 42 big cogs then I’m sure I’d like this.

Although it’ll be both too expensive and too made by Sram for me to actually buy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, it’s obviously an inflammatory commment, but at the same time, I must have a point. A 50t cassette? Under what circumstances would you need one of those, unless you were seriously unfit? The 10t ones can’t last long at all either. Or they never used to on BMXs.

boltonjon

If this is correct then its a bit nuts!!!

woodster

You’d run a bigger chainring and get a higher top end, surely? Nothing to do with fitness

Teetosugars
    Free Member

And I only went 1 X11 last night..

scotroutes

And folk used to complain that geared hubs were putting all the weight in the wrong place on the bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’d run a bigger chainring and get a higher top end, surely? Nothing to do with fitness

A higher top end for what?! Road riding? Or just run a normal chainring and spin a bit quicker?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

And folk used to complain that geared hubs were putting all the weight in the wrong place on the bike.

😀

This is a gradual shift though. 36/38/40/42/50. No one’ll notice.

I remember when I used to ride….I had a 28t cassette. The biggest available was a touring cassette at 36t I think. It weighed loads.

It’s a gradual shift towards a gear box/hub though. THat’ll be the next “big” thing in mtbing I think.

nosedive
    Free Member

This makes no sense and will be really expensive. I still want it

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha glad I missed the 11 speed boat that is OLD news

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given that sram are able to make a cassette significantly lighter than the shimano offering the I doubt your actually getting to a serious weight there.

kimbers

Meh, I’ve just gone for a sunrace 11-42 10speed, cheaper than xt11speed , waaaay cheaper than SRAM and I still get to use shimano mechs I know won’t start developing slop in all the pivots and clutch after a few weekends trips to the mountains ala SRAM

tomhoward

I call shenanigans.

Why would they release the XO1 version before XX1? Why the ‘1’ and not XO2 or XX2? Odd that the resolution isn’t good enough to count the sprockets on the cassette. Looks like someone’s added the word eagle and swapped a couple of 1s for 2s….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I call shenanigans.

Shhh; you’ll spoil a good argument 😉

woodster

I call shenanigans.

Good points. But then Sram has already crammed 4 groupsets into the space where Shimano has 2 so I’m not sure I really understand their logic at the best of times. Maybe XX1 will remain as the XC ultra-light group where X01 is more gnar/enduro.

No mention of a chain either which would be one of the more interesting parts.

And does 1 not stand for the single front ring?

Sanny
    Free Member

30 – 50?

Still not as low as my 20 – 36! 😀

Shame it is made by SRAM. My recent experiences with their kit from a reliability and longevity point of view has been massively underwhelming. The last Sram cassette I used was fine right up until the point that I started snapping teeth off. The rear mech developed slop after a handful of rides. The press fit bottom bracket decided to fail in sympathy.The kit may be light but there is a definite trade off in reliability and longevity that I’m not willing to make.

I really am grumpy at times! 😆

mcnultycop

A reliable 9-42 cassette is all that is needed.

cookeaa

I call shenanigans

Probably… But Googling a bit shows the old interwebz rumour mill is going…

https://m.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/41xt21/sneaky_sram_12_speed_1050_drivetrain

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/possible-leaked-photos-of-new-sram-12-speed-eagle-drivetrain/

Doesn’t even appear to be leccy shifting either, these old fashioned Bowden cables really are Sooo 1890’s…

I think the most disappointing aspect though (if true) is the **** name… “Eagle” FFS, really?

I’m starting my own rumour now:

Campag to re-enter the MTB market with an all new 1×17 groupset. The entire group is assembled by hand from slivers of graphine by artisanal wizards and weighs just 397g (including cranks, hubs and cassette). There is no shifter, instead, customers are sent on a two week course where they learn to control the dérailleur with focused thought…
    All 100% FACT!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought the problem with the 9t was the chain went round a bit lumpy?

Shame it is made by SRAM. My recent experiences with their kit from a reliability and longevity point of view has been massively underwhelming.

Got over 2 years from my last x9 setup. Mech went sloppy but they all do that and it never impacted shifting, in the end I let the chain go on too long and decided to run the lot of it out and go to GX.
    I heard there was some tooth snapping on some 11sp cassettes but they were being happily warrantied over here which suggests batch issues rather than inherent issues.
    Can’t comment on BB’s as I’ve only used hope for the last 7/8 years I reckon.

cookeaa

I thought the problem with the 9t was the chain went round a bit lumpy?

Nah shimano did it ages ago, just never bothered to put it on an MTB… See

100mphplus
    Free Member

Official announcement tomorrow then? 😉

Interesting that One-Up got their 50T ‘shark’ ring out 1 week prior 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m a reasonably fit forty-two years old and I’ve recently gone 1×10 with 32T front and a 11-42 Sunrace cassette.

I took it out on my local trails for the first time on Sunday, by the time I got home I was so knackered that I fell asleep in the post-ride bath.

I’d be quite happy with an 11-46 cassette…

mattherby
    Free Member

How are you guys finding the sunrace cassette? I’m thinking of going for the 40t with an SLX mech. Any issues with shifting of even getting on to the big ring?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d be quite happy with an 11-46 cassette…

How about a 10-42 with a 30 up front, almost the same. Or just go for a 30 up front with what you have if your crank will take it and put up with the loss of a gear at the other end.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

How about a 10-42 with a 30 up front

this, I’m a reasonably fit 57 year old

LoCo
    Free Member

Official announcement tomorrow then?

or maybe later today 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

As above, I’m fitting a 30t chainring to go with the 10-42 on my 29er. The 32t just tires me out on longer steeper climbs.

cokie

It should come out later today. Sram is American and that’s their biggest market. I expect it’ll be around midday US time.

twojumpers

I heard (from someone who works with SRAM) the announcement is tomorrow at 3pm.

cokie

There we go! Launch article on the front page.
    A mate at the LBS didn’t believe me.

Eagle Crankset: XX1 – £356.00 // XO1 – £328.00

Eagle Rear Mech: XX1 – £234.00 // XO1 – £185.00

Eagle Trigger Shifter: XX1 – £131.00 // XO1 – £112.00

Eagle Cassette: XG-1299 – £353.00 // XG-1295 – £302.00

Eagle Chain: £50.00 – £71.00

X-Sync Chainring: £79.00

XX1 Complete Group: £1,173.00

XO1 Complete Group: £1,005.00

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 1×12 group?’ is closed to new replies.