Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SRAM 10 speed black quick link with Shimano 10 speed chain.
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Anyone else had any trouble with the described combination, just had to give up following having to break the chain for a new rear mech install. Hadn’t got any 10 speed shimano pins and had already removed side plates ready for quick links. They wouldn’t have any of it, fractions of a mm too wide a chain for the pins to engage and lock in fully! Had it once before out on a trail with 9 speed shimano chain and KMC link just never had it before with Shimano.

nickdavies

Hope not… I’ve always used SRAM power links on my shimano chains with no issues (10 speed). Just come to fit a new one last night and realised I had none left so ordered a few of the black ones off CRC, assuming the colour would make no difference… 🙁

Suggsey
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on with them as that’s where I had mine from! There was no way on this planet they were going to mesh fully, no side to side wiggling or wrapping chain round my hands in mechanics gloves and pulling with all my strength would lock them in!
    At least my bilingy KMC ti nitride coated super light chain looks good on the bike now.
    I will double check that the chain is actually a ten speed I just assumed as it was a new build orange 5 with 2×10 only a ten speed chain would work but now I’m wondering if they had used a 9 speed when it was built!

honourablegeorge

I put a black SRAM link on a 10s Shimano chain at the weekend, no issues.

nickdavies

How are you putting them on? Not teaching you to suck eggs if you know this, but you’ll never get them to lock if you do it by hand, they’re too stiff.

Put it on the chain but don’t lock it, and bring the link up to the top of the chainline between the cassette and cog. Make sure the link is on properly and lined up, then apply the back brake and stamp the pedal forward, this will secure it in place. You won’t get it off again though without a set of link pliers.

SiB
    Free Member

Had this problem a few weeks ago, advice on here was that the combination worked………….it definitely didn’t for me! No amount of force was going to get the 10 speed sram link on to the shimano 10 speed chain, tried a couple of different branded links but no joy.

I think the problem is with the model of shimano chain, mine is a HGX chain and I’ve got a feeling its the ‘x’ that makes a difference. So many posters said that the combination worked (as above)so i believe their advice (foolishly??)but i’m assuming that it works with a HG chain only, BUT it does not work with a HGX chain, IME of course!

I stand to be corrected!

thered

I use KMC links, run 3 chains for both my bikes and never have a problem getting them on or off.

vincienup
    Free Member

KMC links for me too, and moved away from SRAM chains for everything but 9 speed until I get through my pc971 mountain.

I thought the SRAM 10 speed links were meant to be single use (will never come back apart) which I thought defeated the idea… FWIW I’m loving KMC 10 speed chains as well – I know they get a frequent ‘snaps and you will die’ on stw …

To begin with it was just because I couldn’t get an in stock SRAM 10 chain when I wanted one for under £40 but I’ve liked the KMC’s so much I see no need to move back.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for the viewpoints I’m going to have look at the chain I took off and invest in a couple of non SRAM links. As for the SRAM being non remove able they all should be that’s the whole idea of them. As for putting together with hands, I only ever use hand/ arm strength I am a big strong old boy and have never ever failed before lol.

Suggsey
    Free Member

The chain that SRAM link wouldn’t fit is indeed an HGX type!
    Other users beware…..

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve got one of those fitted on a HGX chain
    admittedly it was a right pain getting it on…i had to wedge a small allen key in there and try to force the 2 ends of the chain apart but this didnt give me great results so i wiggled the chain side to side and the link just slotted into place really easily
    as for seeing if it comes apart as easily, i havent thought that far ahead

Suggsey
    Free Member

Noted. Don’t want to end up with stiff link issues!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 10 speed black quick link with Shimano 10 speed chain.’ is closed to new replies.