Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • squishy revelations – advice please
  • ajt91a
    Free Member

I recently reduced the travel on my rev’s from 150 to 130. They now make a squishy noise but work fine … anyone know why and is it a simple rebuild to fix?
    thanks

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Some more info would help.

How did you reduce travel – spacers? What type and how much fluid did you put in the lowers? How much came out when you dropped them?

Did you (have to) remove / change the oil in the damper?

It might be as simple as the change means that you’ve added oil to the lowers that was missing before. Any other symptoms?

ajt91a
    Free Member

2x 10mm travel reducers
    I used the correct fluid ml and weight as per the sram guide
    no oil change in damper just lower legs as per sram guide – which was there before as it had to be drained when i dis-assembled
    no other symptoms

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

That all sounds good, and personally – I’d be happier with a squishy sounding rather than deadly quiet.

If you havent touched the damper – the sound must be oil in the lowers which can only be good.

A handy hint I’ve found – as the oil in the uppers is blue and the lowers is yellowish – is to put sandwich bags over the lowers as you undo the hex / 10mm nut. The tools still work through the bags (if that makes sense) but you get to collect all the old oil – and importantly on the damper side – see what colour it is. And it saves your garage floor.

Anyway – personally – I dont think you have a problem. Go and enjoy.

ajt91a
    Free Member

… they work fine… no probs on my ride today, just annoying as they didn’t make any noise previously….
    cheers

robhughes
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda ..What is this blue oil you speak of. 😉
    Is this srams own flavor.
    I havn’t opened my rtl ti,s yet but there due for it soon.
    Lowers will be getting TFT,s lower mix which is red.
    Got some of there seal grease which is white so bingo….The full union jack. 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hi rob – the dampers in all the RS’s I’ve ever had have blue super thin oil in the damper. In reality you should never get to see it in regular services.

But on most of said forks – eventually the blue damper oil leaks into the lowers – causes a loss of travel and problems with damping. I use the sandwich bags now – the air and damper sides should be a yellow / yeucky usually. If the damper side has even a slight blue tinge I know the damper is leaking.

For servicing I use Rock Oil from CRC – the 5wt / 15wt is the same blue / yellow. Other makers may be different – but I find the contrast useful.

robhughes
    Free Member

Never seen blue 5 weight fluid in any of my RS,s.
    Know what you mean though as easier to spot if the damper seals have gone or leaking a wee bit.
    Think the one i use is motul pro factory stuff from bought from local m/bike shop.
    This stuff.
    http://www.missionmx.co.uk/Motul-Factory-Line-5wt-Fork-Oil-1-Litre-Info.html

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Rob – I dont know why – all of mine from ’05 to this years ’12 (rebas and revs) have blue damper stuff. OEM and aftermarket. Where do you get yours?

robhughes
    Free Member

07 recon 351 sl,s
    09 lyrik coils
    08 pike 426 airs….strange….
    First 2 are oem and the lyriks where bought off here so don,t know what they had in.
    saying that i bet the revs are blue. 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

OK – compromise – Revs and Rebas (ime) are blue. Lyriks and Pikes are XXX. Otherwise its pistols at dawn and you and I will both just be proved wrong!

robhughes
    Free Member

Hahaha.
    yer someone will be along with some conflicting statement and mass knowledge of fluids.

ajt91a
    Free Member

… had a word with the bike shop today and the mechanic said that i should have reduced the amount of fork oil relative to the suspension reduction … so long as they were working fine he said not to worry ….. thanks for the diagnosis couldashouldwoulda ….
    cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘squishy revelations – advice please’ is closed to new replies.