Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Squirrel racism
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

KILL KILL KILL

Good to see various organisations working together on this one. I like the introduction of a “killing line” 🙂

failedengineer

They are paranoid about grey squirrels here in Cumbria. “report all sightings” etc. Why? Survival of the fittest. They are both tree rats, anyway.

IGMC

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m suprised the Daily Mail isn’t sponsoring it. ‘Aslyum seeking grey foriegners flood across the border’ is right up their street 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

It would be survival of the fitest if they swam the Atlantic to get here otherwise it is a man made ecological incident. The red had no competitor but for our actions I support this

IanMunro
    Free Member

The red had no competitor but for our actions I support this

Except half are reds are foriegners imported from scandanavia and are as native as greys.
    Also the fact that another animal (us) brought them here makes them no less native. Plenty of specices are spread by other animals and are considered native.

hora
    Free Member

Hyde Park- the little feckers mug you. Block and threaten to get food. Mind you that was a few years ago- with an influx of Eastern Europeans I bet the Squirrels dont try that trick anymore

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

By introducing the grey, we have killed off the red squirrel just as surely as if we had actively gone out and shot them. All we are doing is redressing the balance, albeit about 50 years too late.

Grey squirrels are basically rats, red are a different species of rodent
    Unlike the greys, reds do not eat millions of fledgling songbirds in their nests
    Reds do not raid bird tables, competing for food with the birds

IanMunro
    Free Member

Grey squirrels are basically rats, red are a different species of rodent

Paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than humans.

hora
    Free Member

Unlike the greys, reds do not eat millions of fledgling songbirds in their nests

A sort of branch of Kentucky fried chicken?

Muke
    Free Member

** Warning do not look if you have a nut allergy**

+

=

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than humans

IanMunro – what planet are you on

A sort of branch of Kentucky fried chicken?

Hora – very similar yes. The only difference being is that the grey squirrels eat the fledglings alive, generally starting from the legs and working their way up 🙄

toby1

Don’t forget the blacks …. (honest not a racist quote)

I’m sure I read the other day that the black squirrel population was attacking the Greys … so it’s only a matter of time until the Scots are culling the blacks (dream headline for some of our lesser press in the UK I reckon).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

toby1, yes you are right. However the blacks are basically just greys with slightly darker fur and and evolved aggression. Sort of squirrel version of 3rd thug

daj
    Free Member

Intresting reading if you want to?

http://www.squirrels.info/uk/in_uk.htm#red

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Although its been a while since I shot a grey squirrel I can confirm that they are not resistant to either 5.56mm or .303″.

Well if they gonna wander across a rifle range then thats their look out.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

” CaptainMainwaring – Member

IanMunro – what planet are you on “

The plaent BrassEye

Bimbler
    Free Member

Greys are also tasty according to HF-W

Invasion of the greys

coffeeking
    Free Member

Of course red and grey are different species. Neither are rats. Neither are rats in the derogatory meaning of the phrase. BOTH will eat birds eggs, as will loads of other woodland animals, if they find them – there’s no evidence to suggest they actively search for them (either species).

Its not the greys that are killing the reds, it’s the squirrel pox they brought with them that the reds had no resilliance to. Saying it’s survival of the fittest is like someone introducing malaria here and you not trying to find a cure when it starts wiping the population out… Greys are no better or stronger than reds, they just have evolved resiliance to a disease that never existed here.

Hyde Park- the little feckers mug you. Block and threaten to get food.

If you’re so inadequate that you get mugged by squirrells I suggest you’re lower on the food chain than them and should be eradicated first 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think all squirrels are cute but the red ones are underachievers

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL! Member the fuss that caused?

British Isles? PAEDOPH-ISLES!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Nonce-sense.

nickc

I think the clue to the real reason of the decline in population is included in the article:

Already suffering from a loss of their favoured woodlands, red squirrel numbers have plummeted

Red squirrels suffer next to their grey cousins because they are more picky about what they eat, are more picky about where they live, they have less young, and are less able to survive severe winters. Parapox virus, the thing that some grey squirrels carry, (along with Cattle, sheep and goats) is not the Red killer it’s sometimes painted to be, and Red are developing an immunity to it. Recent autopsies performed on red squirrels have revealed Parapox antibodies (meaning they got it, and recovered)

The real killer of the Red squirrel population is mostly us.

All the stuff about greys being rats, and so on, is just so much propaganda.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Rather squiriel Nutkin than some damn ‘over-sexed, over-fed, over here’ colonial grey if you don’t mind old bean.
    Pass me my Purdey’s, there are two more of the blighters.

Whatsit
    Free Member

I can confirm however that they are [quite] resistant to .22 pellets from my mates underpowered air rifle but not [quite as] resilient when hit with a JSB .177 predator pellet from his HW 80k air rifle.

Well they will wander along the fenceline while he’s looking for bunnies 🙄

skidartist
    Free Member

….the thing that some grey squirrels carry, (along with Cattle, sheep and goats)

Grey Squirrels carry cattle, sheep and goats as well as pox!?! Imagine catching a dose of the goats.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Squirrel racism’ is closed to new replies.