• This topic has 91 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by argee.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Squid game…
  • Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Have none of you watched Battle Royale? If you want **** up, that’s **** up.

Premier Icon droplinked

I’ve been off sick this week so managed to binge the full thing and really enjoyed it.

The dubbed audio is shocking though, and I found the subtitles far better, although I read that these aren’t perfect either.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

A couple of the twists you could see coming from a mile away but I enjoyed it overall. Not brilliant yet definitely worth a watch.

I was hoping one of the games would be Bridge Ball from Takeshi’s Castle only with exploding bags of acid instead of balls. Also think I’ve watched way too many violent shows as I didn’t think the violence was that bad. The second The Raid movie made me wince with the hammer fight though so I still have some humanity left.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Spoilers here!

I don’t binge watch series usually, I did this one over 2 nights.

Excellent, I thought.

All the characters,bar one, are not simple 2 dimensional cannon fodder. I did in fact find myself being invested in their fate. I got a little dust in my eye at one point.lol

The sets are wonderfully surreal, the robot girl at the tree… fantastic.

The games themselves, nail biting.

The “music” such that it is, really atmospheric, alien to what I’m used to in this context.

The dubbing was also very good imo. The only one that grated was the lady with the erm, “issues” but that’s as much down to the character as the dubbing.

The only thing I didn’t like was the inevitable “it’s a sport for the elites to watch/bet on” but that said, how else could you possibly set up such an odd premise as this?

Really enjoyed it, head and shoulders above most Hollywood tv/ film fodder.👍

Premier Icon razorrazoo

Have none of you watched Battle Royale? If you want **** up, that’s **** up

First thing I thought of.  Imagine opening your weapon bag and realising you’ve got the pan lid not the Uzi!

Premier Icon Northwind

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

From the trailer it looks like Takeshi’s Castle with death.

Oh you can’t tell me everyone on takeshi’s castle survived.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t binge watch series usually, I did this one over 2 nights.

Me too (sorry Poop, not having a direct dig at you here it’s just your post raised a lot of things I had issues with :p )

Excellent, I thought.

Pretty crap I thought, 4/10 at best

All the characters,bar one, are not simple 2 dimensional cannon fodder. I did in fact find myself being invested in their fate. I got a little dust in my eye at one point.lol

Can’t say that I agree – the ‘real life’ scenes were obviously there to try and get you to care about the characters but to me they were just so formulaic and cringe-worthy I still didn’t care about any of the characters. The fish stall woman and the police man were the only characters I was in anyway invested in. The old man was a blindingly obvious thing to

The sets are wonderfully surreal, the robot girl at the tree… fantastic.

Agree, the sets were heavily Japanese game show stylised and that worked well

The games themselves, nail biting.

Meh, hit and miss for me. Red Light, Green Light was brilliant,  the honeycomb one was decent (although I still don’t really understand the guy trying to sabotage his team at the first chance, when the smart move was to keep strength in numbers until nearer the end), Tug-of-war was OK and the Bridge was good to start with but just dragged on way too long

The dubbing was also very good imo. The only one that grated was the lady with the erm, “issues” but that’s as much down to the character as the dubbing.

Hmm it wasn’t great, I normally prefer original language + subtitles but started watching it late at night and my brain wouldn’t concentrate enough for subtitles so switched to dubbing. It was pretty awful all round but yeah the crazy woman was by far the worst

The only thing I didn’t like was the inevitable “it’s a sport for the elites to watch/bet on” but that said, how else could you possibly set up such an odd premise as this?

It wasn’t just cliched it was very poorly done, they even missed some of the best games!

Really enjoyed it, head and shoulders above most Hollywood tv/ film fodder.

It wasn’t a patch on something like Battle Royale and it could have been so much better. Sure it’s better than a lot of the tripe pumped out by Hollywood but that’s a pretty low bar to aim for. It needed more quality games and less time trying to badly develop characters

Premier Icon teenrat
    Free Member

I couldn’t watch it with the dubbing – changed it to Korean with subtitles which made it much better.

As above, Alice in Borderland is well worth watching.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

Watched 3 episodes now. Again, everyone was raving, didn’t seem to be my thing and “dubbing, yuk” but it’s actually really good IMHO. I mostly don’t notice the dubbing now, I’m dyslexic so subtitles just doesn’t work for me.

I’m looking forward to seeing how it ends, will there be a great truth revealed at the end, the who, how and why of it all, or will the winners just get their money and leave.

Some spoilers.

I’m finding the violence very shocking, especially the executions in the honeycomb game, mostly when the women get killed. At the stage I’m at it’s only really nameless background characters being killed.

although I still don’t really understand the guy trying to sabotage his team at the first chance, when the smart move was to keep strength in numbers until nearer the end

I *think* it a cultural thing, showing that his greed / competitiveness is so strong, he’s rather see his friends lose as quickly as possible, than risk losing to them, or sharing the money. I say it’s ‘cultural’ because our mostly US centric TV and Cinema is usually still “greed is good”.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

So would this be suitable for 12 year old girls? My two are wanting to watch it (because all their friends are) but I am not so sure – they haven’t really seen anything much more graphic than Lord of the Rings, Marvel etc.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

So would this be suitable for 12 year old girls? My two are wanting to watch it (because all their friends are) but I am not so sure – they haven’t really seen anything much more graphic than Lord of the Rings, Marvel etc.

The warnings for it are long, sexual nature, nudity (although there’s really been none of this that I can remember up to ep3) but mostly is very brutal, not overly gory, but well lots of people get shot and stabbed etc. Hundreds.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn’t say it’s a suitable watch for 12 year olds but probably wouldn’t be nightmare inducing. The amount of up close death is pretty shocking (it’s about the only thing I think makes it stand out – it’s not worth watching for the storyline and character development…) but it’s mostly quick gun shot deaths and a bit of splatting on the ground (but those deaths aren’t generally too graphic). There’s only one sex scene I remember and there’s not much on display

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Sounds like a no then :-O

Premier Icon nickc

I wouldn’t let a 12 year old watch it.

I’m still not sure why its got so many rave reviews, It’s just a bunch of people competing for money by killing other people through the medium of games

To state the obvious: It’s an allegory of capitalism. Trying desperately to survive while rich folk look on safely excluded from the daily struggle. Whether you win or lose might be blind luck, there’s no strategy you can employ that will always work, it’s just chance. Picking the teams for Tug ‘o’ war for example; how can you choose correctly, if you don’t know what the game is beforehand? Seems fair, everyone gets the same chance, but it’s just that the dice are loaded for everyone except the rich folk.

Agree about the cultural references and the slow start, and the subtitled “gosh” can get annoying…but overall, it’s compelling.

Premier Icon robowns
    Free Member

If you watched it dubbed you’ve done it wrong.

VIP voices are absolutely awful, otherwise it was a decent series.

Premier Icon eskay

Finished it last night, enjoyed it on the whole. The dubbing reminded me of monkey at times!

One thing I didn’t get though was how none of the players noticed that all of the games were painted on the walls in order.

Premier Icon DickBarton

The games got painted on the walls as the beds got removed…

First 2 episodes (up until the game) weren’t really needed and the last episode didn’t do it for me, but I enjoyed episodes 3-8…I felt sad for all the main characters, which is probably intended.

Was enjoyable as a story, glad it isn’t getting a second series (that I can tell).

Premier Icon eskay

I should probably watch it sober but the squid game was definitely on the wall before they played it.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

I thought it was very good, for what it’s worth.

Was enjoyable as a story, glad it isn’t getting a second series (that I can tell).

I think that’s wise, I think sometimes with book/comic adaptations etc. a mini series is often better if there’s a lot to tell. It needs to be longer than a typical film to tell a decent story, but mercifully the story wasn’t dragged kicking and screaming through several ‘ten episode’ ‘seasons’ of soap opera filler.

Premier Icon smokey_jo

I thought it was really good, got used to the dubbing eventually.

So many villains and only the policeman and the sister of the orphaned boy left really deserving of sympathy.

I thought they told 001’s story very well and really wanted the orphan’s sister to make it but the tidy up with the banker’s mother made it almost palatable.

A damming observation of human nature and capitalism, surely there will be another series now

Premier Icon DickBarton

Really can’t see what they could do with it…same as before (as capitalism isn’t going to end) or someone tries to go on the rampage and take it all done? Very unlikely…

Premier Icon nickc

Finished it last night, and personally I thought the last ep was the weakest. 001 was a bit pointless and meandering, the phone call before he boards the flight was just daft…mleh, for me there would’ve been a dozen better ways to end it, but I feel the dead hand of Hollywood’s influence and focus-grouped story telling.

Premier Icon mahalo

Have none of you watched Battle Royale? If you want **** up, that’s **** up.

its a definitely a rip off of Battle Royale, so is Hunger Games and and one or two others; but thats no bad thing. its brilliant, im loving it (subtitled)

Dunno what it is about Korean cinema, its ace! probably because we only get to see the very best ones in the west? but there are some absolute belters.

Premier Icon grum

Yup agree the last episode was really quite poor.

Have none of you watched Battle Royale?

Yes.

Premier Icon argee

It was a decent switch off and watch series for me, yes a lot of obvious stuff happened, and the characters were mainly two dimensional, especially the ‘bad guys’, lots of areas of improvement but as a low key netflix series it was good, especially after so many disappointing ones recently.

Think the ending was set up for series 2, halfway through it looked like a one off series, but everything at the end pointed to series 2.

Out of all the obvious ones though, the police officer just appearing to die at the end was the weirdest, after the whole premise, leading to his brother appearing you’d think this would be integral, but it fizzled out, wonder if S2 will do more, would bet on it if it happens.

Premier Icon razorrazoo

the phone call before he boards the flight was just daft

I think this and that and the fact that the efforts of the cop seem to have been in vain so far as outing the whole thing are the ‘keep the story open for a follow up’ end,  I hope not, but I suspect it is.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it.

Premier Icon nickc

I hope not, but I suspect it is.

Seemed that way to me as well. The cop’s story just seemed so pointless otherwise,  but there are too many unanswered questions and open endings for it not to have been set up so that a second series could be filmed.

Premier Icon grum

I do get most of the criticisms but I think it’s meant to be somewhat OTT shlocky/horror/Saw style.

Out of all the obvious ones though, the police officer just appearing to die at the end was the weirdest, after the whole premise, leading to his brother appearing you’d think this would be integral, but it fizzled out, wonder if S2 will do more, would bet on it if it happens.

It didn’t actually show him die though did it, unlike many others there was no graphic head blown off shot – possible he just shot his shoulder and he fell into the sea and survived I suppose.

Premier Icon choppersquad
    Free Member

I think I’m on about episode 5 and quite enjoying it apart from the awful cackling voice of that mad woman. The sooner she gets offed the better. Can’t believe it’s Netflix most watched series so far though. I guess all the teenagers are into it?

Premier Icon ajantom

Can’t believe it’s Netflix most watched series so far though. I guess all the teenagers are into it?

All the kids are talking about it at the secondary school I work at. So yes.

Also we had a slightly worrying email from my daughter’s primary school today.
    Apparently, Squid Game is getting a lot of mentions from yrs 5-6. What idiots let their 9/10 year olds watch it?!

Premier Icon weeksy

My boy is 13… he’s not gone on a rabid killing spree yet.

Premier Icon argee

weeksy

My boy is 13… he’s not gone on a rabid killing spree yet.

Or he’s that good at it you haven’t found out yet!

Premier Icon grum

So would this be suitable for 12 year old girls?

I wouldn’t be keen but I guess it depends on the individual kids. I found some of the violence pretty tough and I’ve watched lots of horror etc.

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

What idiots let their 9/10 year olds watch it?!

Its everywhere, not just Netflix. If you 9/10 year old has access to youtube or tiktok or any other video media platform chances are they have seen it unless you have extremely strict content control.

Premier Icon chakaping

Well, it was decent enough for what it was.

Apart from the way they played the VIPs, who seemed like they’d wandered in from a bad cartoon.

It wasn’t from a graphic novel or anything was it? The whole aesthetic felt a bit cartoony really.

Would probably watch a sequel, but would prefer if they didn’t make one.

If you 9/10 year old has access to youtube or tiktok or any other video media platform chances are they have seen it

Not really mate, they wouldn’t be interested anyway, unless I missed the Minecraft elements in it.

Premier Icon ajantom

Its everywhere, not just Netflix. If you 9/10 year old has access to youtube or tiktok or any other video media platform chances are they have seen it unless you have extremely strict content control.

…and there we have a lot of today’s social ills in a nutshell.

An 8/9/10 year old shouldn’t be accessing inappropriate or age restricted online content, whether via Netflix, Youtube, TikTok, FB, Insta, etc. etc. without strict parental controls.
    In fact IMO they shouldn’t have devices at that age, but if they do, they should be locked down tight.

If you just give up and let them watch whatever, you are doing them and yourself a massive disservice.

I know some (a lot) of people won’t agree with this, and I know it’s not going to turn them in a rabid killer on the spot. But have a think about what all this stuff does to a brain that is still only half-way developed. Give them a chance to be children a bit longer please.

Premier Icon lamp
    Free Member

@ajantom – i couldn’t agree more with that. Kids are exposed to far many things they shouldn’t be these days. Excuses are plentiful from parents, but exposing their developing brains to excessive amounts of technology and adult subjects is damaging.

However, as a grown man…i really enjoyed Squid Game!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

So would this be suitable for 12 year old girls?

It’s me again (I asked the question above). We watched the first episode last night (my wife and I). Our 12 yr olds will not be watching it! We enjoyed it though.

Premier Icon yetidave
    Free Member

My 11 yrd old daughter has been chatting to her teacher and class about squid game over the last week or so. With apparently the teacher encouraging them to watch it. So my wife and i watched episode 1 last night, she lasted half the episode before leaving the room, the first bloke had been shot in the game at this point. We thinking of having a quiet chat with the teacher about this.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ I cannot quite comprehend how a teacher would recommend it to 11 yr olds! I’m still enjoying it though and really liked the direction episode two took 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.