Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Squid game…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…its a yes from me !

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Try D*P

carlos
    Free Member

2 episodes in and its a yes from me too.

weeksy

We’re on episode 3… it’s a bit… errrrm strange.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have not seen it, but my youngest daughter is raving about it!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

still on The 100!

DickBarton

About to watch episode 5…was incredibly slow to get going, first 2 episodes could have been missed with only the last 30 minutes of both being watched.

It is a bit weird, but not bad weird. Now the main reason for the show is in action, it is much better, but I’m watching it to just complete the series…it isn’t making me think that I need to watch the next one in a real rush.

doomanic

It’s strangely compelling.

jimmy

+ David Squires = Gold

grum
    Free Member

Apparently the subtitles and dubbing both give a poor impression of the dialogue, but it’s definitely got something. I like the music and the visual aesthetic of it.

first 2 episodes could have been missed with only the last 30 minutes of both being watched.

Disagree I thought the setup was good and made you more invested.

zilog6128

yeah binged the whole thing recently, really great despite awful dubbing. I assume the original language + subtitles isn’t an option (didn’t actually look!)

The penultimate game especially was really suspenseful, one of the most engaging telly episodes I’ve seen for a while.

fossy

Episode 3 here – they have spent a bit of time getting to know the characters. Some of the dubbing is a bit ‘crazy’ but that’s part of the ‘genre’.

Alice in Borderland is somewhat similar and I enjoyed that.

johnjn2000

As above. Took me a while to get past the dubbing and accents but liked the slow build up in a world where everything is bang, bang, bang. Waiting to watch Ep4 this evening.

nuke

Yes from us and we’ve watched first 5 episodes. It’s certainly brutal…in fact that’s where i have a slight issue in that i think id be more affected after a game if id seen so many of my fellow players be butchered so close to me

We’ve watched with original soundtrack & subtitles… never minded subtitles and I’ll take subtitles over poor dubbing any day

Drac

Cracking series something different, visually appealing too. I watched it with dubbing on, I’ve watched worse dubbed ones so was happy with that.

The translation for the subtitles is supposedly slightly off in a coupe of parts, but not enough to ruin it.

sharkattack

It was in the news yesterday

Link…http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264

mjsmke

I want to watch it. Not read it. Can’t do subtitles.

Might try the dubbed version.

TheFlyingOx

Just started this the other night, enjoying it so far. I’ve been reliably informed that ‘Alice in Borderland’ is along the same lines but even more intense so that’s next on my list.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s a 6/10 from me. Watched it with subtitles when MrsRNP was away for the weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Warning – Spoilers ahead~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The act of death didn’t have enough ‘weight’ or gravity – it was almost like someone was swatting flies and that didn’t sit well with me.

The main character was flawed as a person and generally not very likeable so I didn’t really care whether he survived or not.

I sussed the old guy as soon as he was introduced and was too obvious.

The VIP’s acting/English dialogue was terrible.

Wasn’t enough backstory to the characters (other than the lead character). Each ‘game’ episode was quite lengthy especially the marble game but I didn’t care which character died (and it was obvious the newly introduced girl etc would) as I just wasn’t invested in the characters enough.

🤷🏼‍♂️

oomidamon

Started watching the dubbed version but the dialogue is soooo clunky. Switched off ep 2, might try again but I can’t see what all the fuss is about.

DrP

I hate dubbed movies…
    Original dialogue and subtitles for me.

I found teh characters a bit whiney/submissive at first – was a bit annoying… but i guess this is a cultural thing!

Watching it whilst on the turbo seems to do it for me~!!

DrP

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Currently watching this, Episode 2 done last night. Cant quite see what all the hype is about, hoping it improves but if it doesn’t I’m out.

DickBarton

It does improve…as I said, first 2 episodes were far too slow and disengaging. I get the need to explain the characters and all that but it was very slow. 3 and 4 have been good and I’m hoping it continues.
    I’m liking the filming (unsure that is the word) and now it is in the story, I’m more bought in.

funkmasterp

I hate dubbed movies…
    Original dialogue and subtitles for me.

I found teh characters a bit whiney/submissive at first – was a bit annoying

I only like dubbed movies if they are 1970’s Shaw Brothers films and then only because there appear to be two people, deep voice man and sounds like a cat man, doing all the voices. For everything else subtitles is the way.

I’m liking it but the main guy over acts quite a bit. So far it’s like Takeshi’s Castle meets Climbing for Dollars from The Running Man.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@mjsmke dad is that you?

mjsmke

I hate dubbed too. But really hate trying to keep up with subtitles and pausing so I can look at the rest of the screen to work out who said what.

sirromj

The whole people competing to win and not die thing doesn’t really make me want to watch it. Will soon be as done to death as super heroes won’t it? What more is there to this than that? Convince me 😉

BearBack
    Free Member

Same voices from Netflix’s spanish dubbed “Money Heist” I think.
    Same differences between text and audio there also and Its like you need to use both visual, spoken and written media to decide your interpretaion as to the story.
    I skipped some of the 2nd episode to get back to the games part.

piemonster

I really enjoyed this, like some other I wasnt that taken by the first couple of episodes (found myself thinking this is hie I’d like to see staff Christmas dinners pan out) but the later episodes really drew me into the character development.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife has been watching tons of Korean TV lately. Some are very cheesy, some just a bit, and some are cracking (Vincenzo was my favourite) all on Netflix. I’ve learned that what you usually get in Korean shows is good character writing. Also, having gone into it a bit, there is always tons of context to do with Korean society and concepts we just don’t get. There’s often a scene for example with character discussing who’s older than whom. That’s because it’s a big deal in any group of people, the oldest people have seniority. And there are plenty of scenes devoted to how they address each other – there’s a whole system about this that can’t actually be translated because it doesn’t exist in English or Anglophone countries. Really fascinating and makes me want to learn Korean.

sirromj

Fair enough. I was just coming back to ask if these shows exist to make us feel better about our current society? I did really enjoy Memories of Murder, more so than Parasite, although Parasite was good too. Since having kids I’ve kinda turned into my parents and really felt put off by “glorified violence”.

revs1972
    Free Member

I’m up to episode 8.
    Quite enjoyed it. The whole dubbing thing is throwing me every now and again as the words almost sync perfectly with the lips .

Been watching it by myself after the kids have gone to bed , not something they should be watching.
    14 year old popped in the room to grab something , so I paused it, only for him to say , ah Squid Game, watched that 🙄

jekkyl

GREEN LIGHT!

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Episode 3 and 4 done last night, it did improve and whoever said about the cultural references we dont get is bang on.

I’m still not sure why its got so many rave reviews, It’s just a bunch of people competing for money by killing other people through the medium of games, but with a lack of anything else to watch ill stick it on.

Most likely i have missed some sort of artistry representation which is completely possible in my very logical brain.

Houns

I binged it yesterday and final episode this morning. I did take a break from it last night to watch Taskmaster….. For a moment I did wonder when Greg Davies was going to shoot VCM for the Tippex

pk13

My wife has been raving about this for ages it’s quite good.

jimmy

The act of death didn’t have enough ‘weight’ or gravity – it was almost like someone was swatting flies

isn’t that the point? In the last episode (maybe penultimate) he says “you bet on horses, we bet on you, it’s no different”. The frivolity of life, easy come easy go for the VIP’s entertainment.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Watched the last episode last night, quite enjoyed it in the end, not worth all the rave reviews but one of the more decent shows I’ve watched lately.

slowoldman

A news item told me “Even if you haven’t watched the show or seen the memes taking over the internet – chances are you’ve probably heard of Squid Game.

Erm, or maybe not.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

From the trailer it looks like Takeshi’s Castle with death.
    Another dystopian landscape from the Netflix dystopian landscape machine.

I still miss Dirk Gently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Squid game…’ is closed to new replies.