Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • squeaky turbo tyre ?
  • weeksy

I’ve got a Kickr Snap, it’s new… but even on the old turbo my tyre started squeaking under load, either light or heavy efforts.

It’s a Tacx 32mm 700c/29er tyre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TACX-Roller-Bike-Home-MTB-29-Turbo-Trainer-Indoor-Tyre-32-622-28×1-25/272937086282?hash=item3f8c516d4a:g:Lk8AAOSwIFtaDXCg

It never used to squeak….

What can i do to stop it squeaking ? apart from not riding….

stumpy01

Never used a turbo tyre, but….

Have you tried giving it a clean with IPA, or something similar?

Or maybe it’s got a bit shiny & needs roughing up with some fine wet & dry?

weeksy

No, but thought about both options… Just not tried either yet, thought i’d see what comes back, but nice to see i’m not the only one thinking these.

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for a thorough swab down for both tyre and roller with isopropyl alcohol and a clean cloth – give it a really thorough going over, worked for me in the past. And obviously make sure the preload on the tyre/roller interface is correct.

If you have a non-black trainer tyre you can see just how much dirt and grime accumulates on it.

weeksy

OK, that’s the plan then 🙂  thanks fellas.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do a load of doughnuts outside your house – will impress the ladies and get the tyre warmed up.

Why would anyone want to ride a turbo in summer/ever?

weeksy

Because my son is home from Summer School, he’s chilling so i can’t go out riding as he’s only 10

scaredypants

copper grease for squeaks, isn’t it ?

blader1611
    Free Member

Are you sure its not your earrings squeaking Weeksy?

steve_b77
    Free Member

GT85 on the roller, job done.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL, a colleague asked me for some oil recently as her brakesw were squeaking…

downhillfast
    Free Member

Got enough pressure on the tyre from the roller? / tyre not slipping under load?

Northwind

Are you not better using a standard slick, unless doing really long sessions? I’ve always found them quieter and less slippy, it’s just that they don’t last as long. But usually I’ve enough retired road tyres to keep the turbo fed

MrPottatoHead

I’ve only ever had this if tyre pressure is wrong or turbo not tensioned against the wheel properly.

How many turns of the tension dial are you doing on the Kickr once you contact the tyre?

For what it’s worth I’m running 110psi (23mm though) with 2.5 turns of the dial – use a permanent marker on dial at point it contacts tyre to help count.  I check tyre pressure every couple of rides as it will drop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘squeaky turbo tyre ?’ is closed to new replies.