Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • square taper bottom bracket ‘sleeve’
  • Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Another square taper question as my google powers have failed me.
    I have a square taper bb, all fine but the non-drive side sleeve thingy is plastic and cracked – all i want to do is replace that with a metal one…but seems it’s not a part you can buy on its own?

It’s not specific to each bottom bracket (assume same for all 68mm shell BBs) so strange that I can’t find one.
    Am I just calling it the wrong thing or is it just that BBs are so cheap you’re just supposed to buy a new one?

cheers

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

They’re not something that generally wears out, so they come with the BB. If you’re on good terms with a bike shop, they will probably have a bunch of them in their junk heap.

Premier Icon spacehopper

theres a few on ebay (resin mostly from my quick search..) not cheap tho compared to a new BB…

do a search for bottom bracket cup as opposed to sleeve..

id just buy a new BB and keep it for a spare looking at the prices of the ‘cups’

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

While they are not specific to each bottom bracket there are different sizes so you can’t just buy a ‘spare’ and assume it will fit. I suspect even if it was available it’ll be half the price of a new BB. I’d go with the advice above, a friendly chat with a bike shop or buy a new BB and keep the other bit as a spare.

Premier Icon boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I would imagine that your time and money is much better spent on a new bb.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will ask about, but does look like its a case of just buying another BB – cheers

Premier Icon mick_r

Your best bet is the spares bin at a friendly local bike shop.

As above – they aren’t always interchangeable. I’ve had to tickle Shimano metal cups in a lathe so they would fit in place of plastic ones.

If the plastic NDS one is just a single crack then they will still work – just don’t go crazy with the spanner.

Premier Icon snotrag

Any regular bike shop mechanic should be able to dig one out of their bin for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.