Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spuds, which ones?
  • Mounty_73

Never grown spuds as space has been limited, not anymore!

We now have lots of space, so a mixture would be possible.

Which variety of spud is the best to start off with?

ononeorange

Looking to plant mine this weekend if I haven’t left it too late.

Watches thread with interest.

Mounty_73

I am planning on planting this weekend too, the experts at the allotment are saying get them in now…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mikeypies
    Free Member

Here in the west country (well on our allotment site) we dont bother with main crop spuds as blight gets them as we dont use chemicals ect to prevent it. Instead we plant earlies and get a good crop, as for what variety well pink fur and anja have been ace no blight and lots of spuds and are still expensive in shops even when in season if you can find them. Also there are funky coloured ones which are fun when friends come for tea.

We found that digging a furrow and planting the spuds at the bottom was a waste of time as the potaoes were only in the top 7-10 inches of soil (our soil is quite heavy on a clay base) so instead just open the soil with a spade and drop the spud in and earth up a couple of times as it grows.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s a bit late for the best choice of seed pots. I like to plant second earlies, expecting to harvest them before blight becomes a problem. Whereas maincrop may get hit. If you see Kestrel try them IME. Nice boiled and will roast, look good too and a useful shape. Resistant to some nasties too.

Good luck.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Already got some nadines in for boiling and mashing and got some Desiree ready to go in a few weeks for roasting. Just make sure you keep mounding up for healthy crops.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wilja’s a good all rounder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spuds, which ones?’ is closed to new replies.