Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Spuds to flats,,HOW LONG??
  • richmtb

I went for a skills course in the Summer and the coach spotted my awkward riding position straight away. I was far too far back. I was relying on being stuck to the pedals to make up for dodgy body position.

So I switched to flats and concentrated on centring my weight more. I’m still learning but I’m almost there. I can manual a lot better then before as I’m actually shifting my weight around more. I’m still not great at bunny hops but at least I’m not cheating anymore.

I still ride SPD’s but I find flats more enjoyable for more technical rides

davela
    Free Member

+1 richmtb’s comment above.

Thats pretty much what Joe @ Pro Ride Guides said about both my wife and myself when he first saw us ride.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scruff9252 – Member
    What’s the consensus of flats without shin guards? The pins on the pedals look like they would smart!

Man up!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

11 years of Spds and after a nasty accident showing off in front of my kids I decided to ditch them. I’ve ridden flats since and after a few rides I was totally sold. Don’t often catch my shins any more. Was doing at first but yeah…MTFU.

And I’ve been using my Specialized defrosters, which you wouldn’t think would work on flats but have been great this winter. There are very few times I wish I had spds and the postives massively out weigh the negatives. I’ve re-discovered my confidence levels from my youth.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It takes a few rides switching either way. Going flats, concentrate on the following adjustments:

1. You feet needs to be noticeably more forward on the pedals
    2. Make a concious effort to spin circles, flex your ankles to help
    3. Get into dropping your heels when pushing the bike out of corners, obstacles and down slopes, it will avoid sliding or bouncing off the pedals
    4. Get used to softening your legs through rough bits to keep your feet on
    5. Get long pins and sticky shoes!

tacopowell
    Free Member

First attempt on Flats today,
    Went down to the Bike park at Sherwood Pines,
    First 30 minutes felt really weird,
    Things I learnt in two hours of riding,
    1. You have to move your feet so they’re central to the pedal.
    2. The Bike is no longer attached to me, Scooping the bike up on jumps but struggling move with rocky technical stuff (looking at the advice here I know I need to drop my heels more and soften my legs)
    3. I’m not looking forward to technical climbs on flats.
    4. I learnt how to bunny hop (Goal of today complete)
    5. I had lots more fun than I expected to have 😀

andyrm
    Free Member

I switched at the start of last season – DMR Vaults and 5:10s.

Took 2-3 rides to really get used to them, but sh*tloads faster now on descents, especially really steep & technical ones as I feel able to commit so much better.

Climb wise I’m not that fussed as I ride/race Enduro so it’s about getting up climbs in time, rather than worrying about being fast up them.

Do it – you’ll not regret it!

🙂

I ride both and don’t really notice tbh. I’m clipped in on my most used bike – Spesh Enduro with CB Mallets. I have flats on my HT as it’s primarily a pub bike, but take it on some rides. It’s not an issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Spuds to flats,,HOW LONG??’ is closed to new replies.