Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • spring series categories
  • alansd1980

Would someone be able to help me figure out what category I should be entering for the gorrick spring series? 33 year old novice racer. Masters? Supermasters? Open ? Sport?

All a bit confusing, although I am still in pieces from Sundays efforts so might just be me!

weeksy

Depends how many laps really mate.

Arguably fun is the slowest, then sport/open. The age catagories usually has super quick fellas in..

I’d go Open or Sport.

alansd1980

Cheers.

Sport is 4 laps so probably that.

njee20
    Free Member

Good place to start, you can always change for later races if you don’t like it. Sport is usually much smaller than masters if you want a big field to race against.

chum3
    Free Member

Sorry folks – I’m going to need a little more help here. Trying to understand how it works. What is the difference between the Master and Super Master?

And am I an ‘expert’ having finished half way up the points in the last Brass Monkeys 2 hr race (I wouldn’t call myself one! It was my first non team xc race.)? The Spring series feels like a step up to me?!?

And isn’t the point about number of laps, moot – if you get lapped by the leaders, you finish straight after they do anyway, irrespective of whether you do the number of race laps… Is that right?

shortcut

Alan – the obvious answer if you really are a novice is Fun class, if you want to race more competitively for a little longer try Open (2 laps) or Sport usually 3 laps. Masters tends to be very competitive and is 3 laps with lots of elbows on the start straight and is there for those between 30 and 39. SuperMasters is the same age group but with a bonus lap.

If you ride more than once a week then look at Open or Sport. If you want a bit more of a race go for Masters.

Chum – I suggest that half way up Brass Monkeys doesn’t make you an expert so Masters or Super Masters depending on how many laps you fancy. Top 10 consistently would make a sensible thought to go to Experts but really it isn’t going to be worth your while. It is where the really fast guys with team bikes, jerseys and tough training plans hang out.

chum3
    Free Member

@Shortcut – perfect. Thanks. Makes total sense…

alansd1980

Shortcut, thanks for the advice.

I have gone for the sport as I am wanting to move onto longer events eventually so the extra lap could be useful for learning about pacing and feeding.

Cant do the first event so waiting till march. Hopefully the extra month will give me time to make some much needed improvements!

adsh
    Free Member

If I can hijack this. I move to grand veteran this year courtesy of being 50 later on. Doesn’t look like it’s any less competitive than vets and the one lap less doesn’t help my preferance for steady starts and building up. There’s nothing stopping me going to supervets is there?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘spring series categories’ is closed to new replies.