Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Spring is early
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

We’ve had 4 frosts this winter, only just under freezing.  I’ve seen midges swarming in the fields where I walk the dogs and my carnivorous plants are beginning to wake up.  Rubbish wet winter so far.

pondo

I had a wander up the Birmingham Library yesterday on me lunch, and was well chuffed to see snowdrops well out in the Secret Garden. Lovely. 🙂

CountZero

Took this photo in town on the 5th, as I was walking along the side of the river – I was rather surprised to see it, ‘cos my garden is almost overrun with cowslips, but there isn’t the slightest sign of any flowering yet, although there’s lots of new growth.

I’ve got a gorse I dug up as a tiny little stem from Fyfield Down, near Avebury a couple of years ago, it’s now a couple of feet tall, and it’s showing lots of tiny flower buds, so looking forward to a splash of bright yellow with nice smells soon.
    Got lots of snowdrops up, buds aren’t quite open yet, though, and loads of daffs with buds ready to flower.
    I’ve put a new bird box on the silver birch at the bottom of the garden, it’ll be interesting to see if any of the tits take to it this year – a pair were showing interest in an old one I’ve had on the tree for ages last year, but nothing came of it.
    Lots of other green shoots popping up, some of which I’ve never planted, so curious to see what they turn out to be, quite a few are bulbs, so could be any damned thing!

Houns

Crocuses out

Klunk
    Free Member

january daffs

really pleasant out today especially sheltered from the wind.

senorj

Last three nights, Mr Robin has started his dusk serenade. Marvellous. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody freezing this morning!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Had the weirdest CX ride yesterday.

The off road went something like this:

Damp
    2ft deep puddles
    Dry, hero dirt
    Deep muddy climb with ruts and roots
    Damp
    Dry, hero dirt
    Dry, hero dirt

How can one 8 mile loop alternate between conditions so bad you question whether you can be bothered to ride at all for the next 6 months. And absolutely sublime?

Bloody freezing this morning!

null

Yup, made the call not to wear gloves on the way in as I was on the road bike but in office clothes (going for a ride at lunch) and didn’t want to get hot and sweaty, my hands are still numb and tingly 2 hours later.

Crocuses are out in the woods though!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t have to commute in at 0630 this morning, really quite bitter in Southampton, still quite nippy when I popped out for some groceries just after 0900 in thin gloves and Hydrosphere jacket.

Klunk
    Free Member

just been sitting in the garden drinking a double espresso, lovely an warm in the sunshine. there about 5 inches of growth on the bluebells

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

-3 this morning, cars iced up many times this season. Lots of snow in November. Proper winter, no but not too warm either. We did have a bbq on Christmas Day (bbq Turkey is lush)

Lots of Lambs about (there always is at this time) lots of snowdrops (there always is at this time of year)

Klunk
    Free Member

wildlife is going to be pretty bamboozled by today it’s gone from -4 to 11, so warm I couldn’t sit for long in my winter riding kit.

DezB
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t have to commute in at 0630 this morning, really quite bitter in Southampton

Yeah, but its dry and wind-free! Commute was lovely. Really nice to get home before dark too.

nedrapier

Just been sat in the sunshine with coffee and biccies for half an hour, chatting to a neighbour. Lovely.

Wood pidgeons eating the buds off the purple plum, crocuses out, birdies chirping all over the shop, song thrush waking us up at 6:30.

We’re not even at Fools’ Spring yet. Remember last week of Feb last year? Mmmm. Still went to shit again a couple of times over until proper spring.

gallowayboy

Bright warm sunshine on the moors above Calderdale, curlews back from the coast calling overhead – a little bit of magic today, lucky to be able to ride and enjoy it…….

Houns

Sat out in beer garden this afternoon, had to take my jumper off as was too warm

Edukator
    Free Member

24°C on Sunday and not much less in the ski resort. 27°C in Toulouse. Daffodils will be out soon.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Last year in feb there was a weekend where it was something silly like 23 degrees C. I was bikepacking across the Cambrium mountains and it was bizarre. I got burnt!

jree
    Free Member

I saw a bat tonight. That’s not normal is it?

v8ninety

@houns that looks lush. Is it Button Oak?

CountZero

The great tits are still paying attention to the bird box I put up, and I’ve added another, to see if any others like the blue tits are interested.
    Two hedgehogs fossicking around in the garden tonight, but they seem to be around every night anyway.
    Got lots of green shoots showing in the garden, not sure what a lot of them are, so it’s going to be interesting to see what they are. My little gorse Bush I got from the other side of Avebury two years ago is showing lots of little white buds, so shouldn’t be long before I have a splash of bright yellow with sweet smells.

Klunk
    Free Member

the local skylarks are calling it here, they were out in force today. Bloody glorious, if a little breezy, today 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pair of blue tits in and out of the nest box this morning despite gusts up to 48 mph. And that’s in Salford – hardly coastal.

swavis

5k run in a blizzard today and hopefully we’ll get up for a slide at the Lecht tomorrow for the first time this season. Definitely not spring yet.

corroded
    Free Member

Wild garlic is out in Hampshire – it was April last year. Picked some for my post-ride soup, which was delicious.

fasthaggis

hopefully we’ll get up for a slide at the Lecht tomorrow for the first time this season. Definitely not spring yet.

True dat ,it’s sideways sleet with us just now but forecast is good for a day up the hills tomorrow.

senorj

Thought about this thread during my ride today….massive moth landed on my leg & saw some returning geese,hurrah.
    Then, back at home , I revived a bumble bee with a drop of honey and then saw one pollinating the yellow primroses.

Houns

Sorry @v8ninety just read your post, it was the Robin Hood inn Drayton

v8ninety

@Houns 👍🏼 Always good to know where serves Wye Valley…

jobro
    Free Member

I heard a Willow Warbler calling continuously in Lulworth Cove yesterday. They are a sub Saharan migrant. About four weeks early!

martinhutch

Felt like spring in the Lakes today. Drying trails, warm sun, birdsong.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iB1ecY]IMG_20200305_113433[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Spring is early’ is closed to new replies.