Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Spring is early
  • Houns

Cherry blossom out
    Trees budding
    Snowdrops been up for 3 weeks
    First daffodil spotted 2 weeks ago
    Birds seem rather vocal and frisky

Can we have some Winter please? There have only been 3 mornings where I’ve had to scrape the car windows…

Anyway, let’s ignore it and get booking our holidays abroad for this year 😏

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmmm

I’ve seen none of the above, but it’s been pretty mild for the last few days.

I did dare think today that I’ve not really seen a frost this winter so far, let alone snow, in fact I can’t recall a single sub-zero day, let alone ride.

Still there’s still 7 weeks or so until the first measure of Spring, we could all be balls deep in snow next week.

scotroutes

It was minus 4 when I was riding last night.

Spring doesn’t start until March 20th.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I had to scrape the ice off my car at 5:30 last night to get home from work.

Houns

But how’s the snow looking up there Scotroutes?

scotroutes

More overnight and plenty on the way.

Houns

I hope so, and if you could send some South that’ll be lovely

trail_rat
    Free Member

-7 here this morning.

due to be 10 again tomrorow .

MrOvershoot

I for one will be very happy if it stays slightly above seasonal norms for temperature, no risk of TRIAD’s being called 🙂

Its a royal pain in the arse for us so as long as it stays like this till the end of February I will be a cheerful type.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve been back in work shorts for delivery for ~3 weeks now, after swapping to trousers in early November, it’s been very mild of late around Southampton. Just hope we don’t now get a bitterly cold spell, last year we had a crazy warm Jan/Feb which woke up at least some hibernating animals, it then turned bitter and one pond on a delivery I do had a pile of dead frozen adult frogs above the pond ice. 🙁

derek_starship
    Free Member

We’ve had blue tits viewing our nest box. External and internal. And our summer hanging baskets are still going!

slowoldman

Blossom here today and I’ve not cut back those bloody willows yet.

footflaps

Been very mild down south the last week, +13 during the day; almost T shirt weather.

chevychase

I’m in Poland.

It’s warm.

w00dster

Was chilly for this mornings ride, 5 degrees, but dry and sunny with only a 10mph wind, felt nice.
    Wednesday morning was 11 degrees, but felt colder than today due to light drizzle and a stronger colder wind.
    Almost warm enough to sit outside the cafe which is unheard of for a January ride.

Klunk
    Free Member

very spring like on todays ride, lot of rain overnight left some local flooding and a few rivers running down the road but mostly dry for change. Would be nice to have a proper mcwinter but i fear, here anyway, it’s going to be another frost free year.

scruff9252

“I for one will be very happy if it stays slightly above seasonal norms for temperature, no risk of TRIAD’s being called 🙂

Its a royal pain in the arse for us so as long as it stays like this till the end of February I will be a cheerful type.”

I don’t miss dealing with TRIAD’s. Still a mild winter just makes managing them harder – you’ll still get charged accordingly, just it’s harder to predict when they will be so harder to minimise your exposure.

Drac

Been a 11c through the night here until last night when it was -2c I had to switch the screen heater on in the car as I was walking home this am

P-Jay
    Free Member

Spring doesn’t start until March 20th

You can’t definitively say that.

By 1 measure it’s March 1st, by another March 20th and by a 3rd it’s a short transitional period measured by changing in the natural world.

The 20th one has always been the least accurate to me. It says Winter doesn’t start until the darkest day of the year when Weather-wise Winter is well established and Summer until the longest, you could hardly call June the 15th ‘Spring’.

BillOddie

It was 10 degrees in Leicestershire at 7am the other morning. Crazy.

spekkie
    Free Member

Here in northern Spain it’s sunny and, if you’re in the sun, really quite warm. Cold at night and first thing in the mornings of course.

No sign of any snow, aside from up in the mountains, also no sign of any rain at the moment.

Our flat is cold. During the day it is actually warmer outside than it is inside!

Yesterday I watched a kestrel trying to raid a nest in the tree opposite my house. The nest was full of chicks. Don’t know what they were (small brown jobbies) but it seems very early to have chicks hatching.

Weather-wise it feels more like early march rather than January.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big Surf today, waters cold but no boots no hood and no gloves.

Roll on Summer.

MrOvershoot

scruff9252

I don’t miss dealing with TRIAD’s. Still a mild winter just makes managing them harder – you’ll still get charged accordingly, just it’s harder to predict when they will be so harder to minimise your exposure.

In the last 4 years we have managed to avoid running during the TRIAD’s that were called, saving around £450,000 per site in electricity cost each year.
    I did notice NG said people were becoming too good at TRIAD avoidance!

Strange that as I thought they wanted us to stop due to Grid loading?
    Oh no its just a cynical money grab 🙁
    What did they expect £0.13 a unit during red band period but £49 a unit during the same period but call it a TRIAD

Date GB Demand (MW) Peak HH Called?
    18-Nov-19 44,292 35 YES
    02-Dec-19 44,102 35 YES
    17-Dec-19 43,485 34 YES

bikebouy
    Free Member

Heres a few shots of todays surf:

fossy

It’s tropical in Prague at the minute
    7 to 9c during the day.

CraigW
    Free Member

Spotted a couple of bats out last week.

And a report of a local kid with a tick bite!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not very spring like in Burns country tonight, blowing a hoolie and pissing it down.

alpin
    Free Member

Have seen a few bees buzzing about in the last couple of weeks. Most recently yesterday at the pub.

Sadly I’ve found two dead bees. One on my sister’s terrace and one in the New Forest last week.

I caught the tail end of a piece on R4 about the warm weather and how it is possibly affecting hibernating animals and bees. Many broods will die at the first sign of frost. They weren’t quite able to say whether it was a good or bad thing that the bees are still buzzing.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I thought we were meant to be experiencing Siberian conditions by 2020:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

JP

nickc

Anyway, let’s ignore it and get booking our holidays abroad for this year

You do understand the difference between climate and weather, right?

There has been an intense arctic low pressure vortex this year, which is being held in place by some strong stratospheric winds, caused by a phase of equatorial winds and tropical rainfall. This in turn creates a low (below Britain geographically, but still high atmospherically and fast Jet stream which in turn is bringing warm wet weather from the South West. A trend that is set to continue.

That is why it’s warm and wet.

Klunk
    Free Member

Spotted a couple of bats out last week.

they were out in the garden this evening

molgrips
    Free Member

Spring doesn’t start until March 20th.

Nature cares not for your calendar.

Klunk
    Free Member

wasn’t very spring like out today on the bike though with no wind it didn’t feel particularly wintry either also there were some daffs out along the side of the road.

senorj

Lots of grey and blue tit activity in my garden today. My robins and mr & mrs blackbird are busy nesting in the ivy. Snowdrops looking optimistic and there’s even a solitary forget me not in flower.
    It is peculiarly mild imo. At least the bloody wind has dropped.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I hope not as I’ve been lax in my gardening this winter!

Still need to prune the fruit trees and gape vine, and till the veg patch a few times in between frosts to kill of the weed seeds and break up the soil!

The 20th one has always been the least accurate to me. It says Winter doesn’t start until the darkest day of the year when Weather-wise Winter is well established and Summer until the longest, you could hardly call June the 15th ‘Spring’.

If you ignore air temps and look at soil temps (i.e. what matters for plants) they make more sense. Because the ground takes so long to warm up and cool down they lag the number of hours of daylight by about 4-6 weeks.

martinhutch

Lots of snowdrops out today. I even took my armwarmers off at one point it felt so warm, then regretted it 10 minutes later when the clag rolled back in.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iirQV1]IMG_20200122_142857[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Positively scorchio out there today compared to last few days of pretty chilly south coast starts, but on a day off I’m happy to hibernate indoors.

Houns

Finally had some frosts over the last 3 days but today back up to double figure temperatures.
    Spotted my first lambs too

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

what’s really annoying is that it’s weeks and weeks until Shrove Tuesday and yet the supermarkets are already selling eggs. flour, sugar and milk. Grrrr….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Spring is early’ is closed to new replies.