Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 505 total)
  • Spring clean
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Now the days are getting longer my hands aren’t cluttered up with a torch so I can use my litter picker again on Berts mornings walk.

Bags are left at council bins for collection.

Dog walkers especially – seeing as you’re walking round your local environment why not do some litter picking at the same time?

Home

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good work, but I’m sure I once heard of someone being done for flytipping for doing exactly that.

kayak23

I keep wanting to do this on my ride to work along the canal.
    Every day I get more worn down by how little respect some people have for the world and other people and beings.
    I’m in danger of going a bit Michael Douglas.

I’m going to have to do a run in the canoe too, to get the stuff in the water.
    It’s pretty soul destroying though how it comes back as quick as you remove it.

Can you recommend a good picker-upper that’s robust enough to carry by bike?

Good work, but I’m sure I once heard of someone being done for flytipping for doing exactly that.

I think an explanation along with the fact you’re carrying a picker would soon get around that.

stwhannah

Trash Free Trails encourages anyone litter picking to report what they find here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfbaDHzsdS6rvU5pud6gfdF2aPBMFXzRDk2oIe1co2iyO45ZQ/viewform

That way they can identify patterns of litter – for example some brands that are found more often than others – and they target the litter at source, by putting pressure on the companies to invest in changing consumer behaviour, redesigning packaging etc. Hopefully tackling litter at source so there’s less for you to clear up in future!

kayak23

– and they target the litter at source, by putting pressure on the companies to invest in changing consumer behaviour, redesigning packaging etc. Hopefully tackling litter at source

It’s great but I just don’t see how you can change people who literally do not care in the slightest. In fact, that little bit of rebellion in chucking stuff aside is seen as a win by them.

McDonald’s packaging is a classic example that we see just everywhere.
    Yes, there should be way less of it at source, but still, it’s the funkwits that chuck it out of their cars that are the issue, more so than the packaging itself.
    You can’t design-out moronic people from the equation unfortunately.

We shouldn’t have to constantly design around and allow for the twonkwittery of human beings.
    We do though eh…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can you recommend a good picker-upper that’s robust enough to carry by bike?

I’d say this fits the second requirement, not sure about the first but can’t imagine they would knowingly endorse throwaway crap.

https://www.trashfreetrails.org/product-page/waterhaul-x-tft-recycled-litter-picker

Bags are left at council bins for collection.

My word of caution is aimed more at making sure the contents aren’t redistributed by your local friendly seagulls as they are prone to doing. Not a reason not to do it though!

fazzini

Well I think Bert should be commended for taking the lead on this! Although I did, fleetingly, wonder when reading the below the other day, whether one of those 90s vehicles may have been a former @RustyNissanPrairie rusty Nissan Prairie 😉

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60691567

mahalo

our little village community came up with an initiative to furnish interested parties with littler pickers. i got one. but since it turned up there is absolutely bugger all litter! given up taking it out with me… gutted 😀

fossy

I’ve got a section of canal on my commute I call poo bag alley. At either end, some kind soul has left bin bags tied to posts for dog poo. Do the owners use them, do they fark. Poo bags everywhere, and the posts are less than half a mile apart. Unfortunately there are a lot of lazy dog owners.

RustyNissanPrairie

Trash Free Trails encourages anyone litter picking to report what they find here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfbaDHzsdS6rvU5pud6gfdF2aPBMFXzRDk2oIe1co2iyO45ZQ/viewform

That way they can identify patterns of litter – for example some brands that are found more often than others – and they target the litter at source, by putting pressure on the companies to invest in changing consumer behaviour, redesigning packaging etc. Hopefully tackling litter at source so there’s less for you to clear up in future!

Thats interesting – its always the same litter (RedBUll, Costa, Monster, McD’s etc) its never Furtnum and Masons!

mattcartlidge

is that the canal by Stretford marina? Counted about 20 bags just past it last night on bike commute home, some of them high viz green poo bags, depressing.

RustyNissanPrairie

whether one of those 90s vehicles may have been a former @RustyNissanPrairie rusty Nissan Prairie

that’s were it ended up when it rusted to death!!!!

roger_mellie

I’ve got one of the waterhaul folding ones from when they did a Kickstarter. It’s good, although not sure how many folding/unfolding cycles it will eventually stand up to, but it’s robust when extended (fnarr).

grahamt1980

We take litter pickers on some of our walks round chicksands Woods, keeps the boy happy finding rubbish. It’s rare we don’t come out with a full bag, but i don’t pick up those lovely little wrapped dog turds that people leave around. Not carrying that weight back to the car

RustyNissanPrairie

Handsome if not a little warm Bert!
    1bag from local park with Costa winning this morning’s Rubbish Roulette.

kayak23

Excellent work Bert 😊 👏

I’ve ordered a Waterhaul picker.
    The canal was minging this morning.

No surprise that right where the new entrance steps to the canal are, opposite a Costa, is right where the canal is most full of the cast-offs of morons. 😐

fasthaggis

Fine work Bert,top dog. 🙂
    Education/upbringing though init.
    From a very early age,my brother,sister and myself were told to bring our litter home if we couldn’t find a bin.
    All our kids do the same,none of them would ever dream of littering or launching something out a car window.

RustyNissanPrairie

Half way round this morning’s walk – notice the wooly telegraph pole jumper!

Half a bag of junk collected.

matt_outandabout

We’ve a couple of outdoor spaces we use for work – today is the staff Friday lunch cuppa and clean. There’s only going to be two of us in, but 5-10 mins and we can transform the spaces. Today’s plan is to put back in the builders skip what blew out a week ago and they didn’t pick up.

crazy-legs

There’s been a couple of cyclists going up the (currently closed) Snake Pass road collecting rubbish. It’s the only chance it gets to have litter picking, the road is far too busy and narrow for anyone to get out there when it’s open. The verges are absolutely stuffed with crap – mostly fast food wrappers, takeaway coffee cups, drinks bottles but quite a lot of car debris too like bits of hubcap and bumper. They’re leaving bin bags at regular intervals then going back and collecting them in a car. There’s a massive pile of bin bags in one of the laybys waiting for the council to collect.

Very very rare that you see a gel wrapper or something else not from a car.

What was noticeable during the first lockdown was how clean the verges were. Nothing was open, very few people were driving anywhere = no litter! Amazing.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s great but I just don’t see how you can change people who literally do not care in the slightest. In fact, that little bit of rebellion in chucking stuff aside is seen as a win by them.

McDonald’s packaging is a classic example that we see just everywhere.

I pick litter along our round and in addition to MacDonalds there is Costa coffee cups , always the same side in about a 100m range. It’s clearly the same person everyday on their way work probably.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well done everyone. Just a word on councils though – round our way you have to tell them if you are doing a significant litter pick effort, they give you special red bin bags to use and they will come and collect, to avoid any confusion.

RustyNissanPrairie

stone the crows!
    2bins raided in local park both tidied and a full bag of litter collected and left at nearby bus stop council bin.

RustyNissanPrairie

Another 3 bins raided by fox/crows/dog poo fetist. Tidied up and a bag of litter left at usual council bin.

Anyone else litter picking?
    1283-FC7-B-57-F2-4343-BE8-B-DEFB93-A4-F654
    8895-DEF4-E51-B-4513-9173-A3-CA7-F59-D07-E
    555-EEC1-E-8249-4774-8-EC4-F33-E4-EBECFF3
    018-C136-A-89-D7-49-E2-8-F3-D-4-C5838309-F12

fasthaggis

Well done RNP and Bert :-),those bins are always going to be next to useless 😞 , no excuse for the dog poo people though..Grrŕrr

RustyNissanPrairie

A quick 5 minute walk to local shops to get doggo food last night, not been in daylight hours this year. Happened to have a litter picking bag in my pocket…..

DeWalt boot box plus the usual self entitled shit that people throw everywhere. This planet is ****. Donald Ducked

fazzini

That Bert fella really is lead-ing the way on the litter fight! Well done Bert and RNP top effort.

servo
    Free Member

Well done! My wife does local litter picks a lot and her weapon of choice is a Ranger Max.

A sponsored litter pick is way more useful than a pointless sponsored bike ride, walk etc.

To the OP, name a charity I can donate online to, and I’ll give them a tenner.

stumpyjon

Bert, no it’s not when we have people like you out. I sometimes i do a bit at the other end of the valley over Deerplay, depresses me when I’m riding past all the verge litter. For anyone worrying those big green bin bags are the official council ones which they happily collect.

Cougar

I’ve got a section of canal on my commute I call poo bag alley.

Unfortunately there are a lot of lazy dog owners.

I used to do a lot of towpath riding, at the old house it was the closest bit of vaguely-green that I could find that wasn’t at the top of a 1-in-1 hill. Same story, but it was markedly increased near the bridge ramps. It seemed that people – or to be fair, it could just be one or two prolific offenders – would take their dog for a walk down the canal but couldn’t be arsed to walk more than ten yards with them. You ran the gauntlet of discarded poo bags and free-range dog eggs every time you passed a bridge and ironically that’s where all the bins were installed.

Some folk just shouldn’t be allowed animals.

Cougar

It’s up to you / Rusty of course, but just putting this on your radar. It was on the news last night that the air ambulance services are in trouble because of the recent spike in fuel costs. Might be something that the more adventurous of us may need one day.

RustyNissanPrairie

servo
    Free Member

Well done! My wife does local litter picks a lot and her weapon of choice is a Ranger Max.

A sponsored litter pick is way more useful than a pointless sponsored bike ride, walk etc.

@servo

thanks for the offer of a charity donation – as cougar mentioned above the Air Ambulance would be a worthy cause, however I’m tidying litter and posting the pics on here to hopefully inspire other people to do the same or join Community groups like Rossendales CivicPride which do great work.

RustyNissanPrairie

bag of grot collected from local park on this beautiful spring morning – also wide angle photo!!!! (from new to me phone)

servo
    Free Member

Donated and air ambulance is a good cause as they went to help my mate who had an off on the cliffs near Cuckmere Haven last year. Keep up the great work!

kayak23

Well done Bert 👊

RustyNissanPrairie

@servo

Thank you – awesome gesture👍

RustyNissanPrairie

Back to it after a few days away.
    Local council haven’t emptied the bins this weekend so they are overflowing.

Finished off my first bag in the local park picking up the overflow and half filled another bag that I left on the way home with other picker’s bags for collection.

onehundredthidiot

Counted three McDonald’s cartons between the park gates and the Pumptrack.
    Nearest McDonald’s is 15miles away. So 15miles with that stuff stinking your car, you walk past 3 bins and before the 4th it becomes too heavy. Forget the fine make the do a litter pick.

RustyNissanPrairie

Endless summer litter.

Another two bags worth.

RustyNissanPrairie

Another fox/crow raided bin tidied.
    One bag of general litter collected on morning Bert walk.

Anyone else litter picking?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 505 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.