Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 455 total)
  • Spring Classics is upon us…
  • chaos

Have I missed anything?

Bit of entertainment watching Alaphillipe careering through the cars and motos to re-join the peleton descending post-Turchino.  Had my heart in my mouth a couple of times!

crazy-legs

Cavendish dropped. 🙁
    It’s getting very attritional now.

crazy-legs

Ouch that’s nasty.
    Unprotected / unmarked road furniture.

😢

crazy-legs

OK, that was a cracking finish!
    I’m still not convinced by MSR, it does seem to be a whole load of really really slow burn followed by 10 minutes of excitement.

Edit; WTAF is Adam Blythe wearing?! (EuroSport studio). That has to have been some sort of dare, surely?

dovebiker

Ganna sand-bagging on the chase so he could ‘win’ second 🤔

ac282

I love the last 30 km of MSR. The first 260 km are just to soften up the legs and get rid of some me domestiques, there’s no need to watch them.

fazzini

WTAF is Adam Blythe wearing

Can’t say I’d noticed. I may have been distracted 🤔

weeksy

Tell you what, holding off that trio of racers is a heck of a feat

What a ride that was

scaredypants

Ganna sand-bagging on the chase so he could ‘win’ second

(he may have actually shat himself on the DH, and…) I think they’d have been “lucky” to close that gap if they’d been all-out, so maybe he was just cleverer. “Surprisingly” good sprint though, I’d agree

DrJ

Bit of a relief that Pog’s usual attack was not successful- it was getting boring for him to win all the time !! Gives hope for the rest of the season.

dawson

“3 guys on a two seater sofa” 😁

rOcKeTdOg

😂

stevious

Just caught up with the highlights because apparently seeing granny for the first time in a year is more important for the kids than watching the peloton soft pedal through the Po valley.

Anyway, cracking race as always. Love the fact that Pog and Wellens gave it mega-beans up the Poggio. Love the fact that Ganna was there. Love the fact that the vans’ rivalry is still alive and well. And love the fact that MvdP won in such superb style.

And just look at this:

Tadej Pogacar, Phillipo Ganna, Wout van Aert and Mattheiu van der Poel bossing it up the Poggio in Milan Sanremo 2023

Next week: KöBBELS

crazy-legs

Good article from Inner Ring about how Milan-SanRemo played out:

The Moment Milan-Sanremo Was Won

Next week: KöBBELS

Yep, back to Belgium for the E3 Saxo Classic on Friday and Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday!

13thfloormonk

That Inner Ring article seems to miss the ‘moment’ when Pogacar and Ganba gapped WvA and MvdP on the Poggio and WvA put in a pretty drawn out effort to close the gap, dragging MvdP up behind him. That must have emptied him before he then put in that massive chase down the other side.

MvdP showing his better racing instinct again, WvA just seems to find himself chasing and on the wrong side of breaks too often!

DrJ

Horrendous crash in the Volta Catalunya this afternoon. Makes you worry about getting on your bike!!

crazy-legs

Horrendous crash in the Volta Catalunya this afternoon.

Just seen it on the catch up, that was horrific. Could see how bad Cataldo was, he was unable to move. Hit that kerb hard. 🙁

DrJ

It just seemed like a routine spill!!

stevious

It’s the Four* Days of De Panne tomorrow. Used to be the kind of race that you’d see someone from Wanty Groupe-Gobert take a surprisingly good result but Wanty are good now and so is the line-up:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/oxyclean-classic-brugge-de-panne/2023/result/startlist

It’s a sprtinty kind of race these days. Looks like there’ll be a shootout from some big guns.

*One**

**OK, they renamed the race, but it did spend a few years being called the 4 days when it was only 2 days long.

weeksy

Jeepers, that’s every fast guy on the planet!

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m calling echelons tomorrow lots of echelons 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like a crazy day of racing!

stevious

Looks like LOVELY weather. Have had to turn the heating up just to watch.

There’s a front group of about 20 riders but I wouldn’t bet on all 20 making it to the finish in these conditions.

Klunk
    Free Member

qst team bus is going to be a tad tense at this rate !

stevious

That was quite a race!

Philipsen is proving to be quite a versatile chap. Sure, he was one of the favourites to win, but not in a race like that.

crazy-legs

A lot of DNF! Didn’t see any of the race, just been reading the reports.

Klunk
    Free Member

it was pretty brutal the peloton was about 70-80 with 80kish to go (when it had just come together again) only to be smashed to pieces within a couple of minutes.

hofnar
    Free Member

That was some heroic racing worth watching for those who missed it. Seeing in the chase group big guys like Demare and Groenewegen fight for a couple of K’s to get back on, get unhinged on a speed bump(bridge) repeat chase get back bridge repeat and that was only the chase group.

Impressive from Jasper thought he might be digging his own grave but he seemed to have near endless energy today, well done chap?

kennyp
    Free Member

Brilliant race, a proper Belgian spring classic. As someone said above, there’ll have been some choice language on the Quick Step bus after.

IdleJon

It’s the Four* Days of De Panne tomorrow.

It’s part of the charm of this part of the season, isn’t it. Races that you’ve watched for decades but they change their names so regularly that they make no sense or you’ve forgotten what it’s called this year. 😀

Jeepers, that’s every fast guy on the planet!

But it’s NOT the unofficial Sprinters World Champs. Despite the fact that the first sprinter interviewed – and Robbie McEwan – referred to it in exactly that way. 😀

crazy-legs

To my shame, I wasn’t aware that there was a Women’s Brugge de Panne race (yesterday) but the results popped up in my news feed.

Won by British rider Pfeiffer Georgi, her first World Tour win!

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a43401196/classic-brugge-de-panne-2023-womens-results/

E3 Saxo Classic later today, a warm up for Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday which I’ll be unable to watch because I’m working on the UK answer to a Belgian Classic, the CiCLE Classic in Rutland (Junior Men’s race in the morning, Women’s Race in the afternoon, both British Cycling National Series events).

https://www.cyclingstage.com/e3-saxo-classic-2023/route-e3-2023/

weeksy

Bit gutted this weekend. This time last year we were there and watching it from the finish line (bar) and enjoying chips and beers. Then cycling back to Wevelgem via the river and a few more bars 😀
    The weather looks a lot less friendly than last year which is the only saving grace for that.

nbt

E3 Harelbeke today (or whatever it’s called now)

crazy-legs

E3 Harelbeke today (or whatever it’s called now)

You missed my link just above…?!

https://www.cyclingstage.com/e3-saxo-classic-2023/route-e3-2023/

slowoldman

Great win by Georgi, horrible heavy looking crash for Alice Barnes and Julie De Wilde. Fractured radius for Alice, scapula for Julie.

nbt

You missed my link just above…?!

I did…

Klunk
    Free Member

should be a fun watch (possible not so much for the riders 😀 ) 20mph SW gusting to 40+

crazy-legs

The weather is looking suitably grim isn’t it…

Klunk
    Free Member

good support out even with the weather!

weeksy

game on !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 455 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.